Creative Associates International, Erbil, Iraq
The Northeast Syria Agriculture and Livelihoods Partnerships (ALP) project will build resilience within target communities in Northeast Syria, specifically in providing increased access to opportunities for economic revival and food security while strengthening the capacity of civil society organizations to play a key role in supporting locally generated gains. The project will apply a three-pronged approach of – (i) providing technical assistance to develop the capacity of agriculture and livelihood production in participating communities; (ii) training on effective value chain and access to markets; and (iii) creating safe spaces for community cooperation and coordination of resources.
The Area Manager is responsible for leading a team of 2-4 Field Officers to design, implement, monitor and learn from activities in a designated geographic area. The Area Manager will work in close collaboration with the Senior Program Manager and the Grants team in Erbil successfully implement and close-out project activities to further agricultural services and livelihood opportunities in North Eastern Syria. This position will require close coordination with local partners to develop ideas, concept notes, risk assessments, and activity approval forms (AAFs). The Area Manager will be based in Erbil, Iraq and report to the Senior Program Manager.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for general oversight of a portfolio of activities. The geography of targeted communities as well as type of programming may change frequently over the course of the program;
- In collaboration with senior management, advice on programmatic design of new activities, including identification of potential local partners and beneficiaries, monitor implementation to ensure timely completion and adherence to budget and programmatic closeout throughout the portfolio of activities;
- Coordinate with the Field Officers to provide capacity building to local partners in grants management and implementation.
- Take a leadership role in the program’s learning process by feeding information in a timely manner on political and security developments in the assigned portfolio area;
- Work directly with the local partners to develop ideas for new activities that fit within the guidelines provided by the donor;
- Develop detailed activity description, detailed budget and work plan. As required, work with procurement team to develop procurement plan and market surveys for project;
- Develop detailed risk assessment and mitigation plans for each concept note and Activity Approval Form to include all possible risks associated with the project;
- Serve as project representative in meetings with the local partners and other implementers in Erbil;
- Present activities development and situational updates to the donor.
- Coordinate with other implementer’s staff to ensure synergy of support for the local partners.
- Provide input and analysis into routine program situation reports and other program reporting.
- Represent the Field Officers within the program, bringing concerns to senior management on the team’s behalf; and
- Contribute to requests for information.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required in relevant field;
- At least three (3) years’ experience of international professional experience in public outreach, civil society, livelihoods, agriculture, or local governance;
- Demonstrated professional experience and knowledge in designing components programming under donor regulations;
- Demonstrated knowledge of regional conflict and political dynamics with a focus on the Syrian context strongly preferred;
- Fluency in Arabic language required; and
- Fluency in oral and written English language required.
Local and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.