Bridge Design Engineer
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Somalia Country Office of our client is undertaking feasibility studies and detailed design of priority urban roads in Kismayo and Baidoa, a component of the Somali Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP) supported by the World Bank. Working in close relationship with the Municipality and the Government partners, the project covers priority urban roads in Kismayo and Baidoa. The project scope involves feasibility studies and detailed designs of about 30 km of urban roads in Kismayo and 20 km of urban roads in Baidoa. The feasibility study report is due by end of June and the detailed design documentation is due by end of August.
The Bridge Design Engineer is expected to undertake assessment of the existing major culverts along the floodway and investigate options for improvements or replacement and provide input to the feasibility study report. Further prepare and submit detailed designs for the recommended improvement works implementation
- Preliminary planning, site visits to Baidoa for the assessment of one bridge and 2 culverts and identify options for their improvements (or replacements) taking into considerations local construction capabilities and limitations;
- Review hydrological assessments output for the culverts sites and develop conceptual drawings and preliminary estimates for the proposed improvements including replacement of the existing structures, and provide input to the feasibility study;
- Develop specifications for geotechnical investigations of the existing culvert sites (if determined to be replaced with bridges) and advice on other required inputs to perform detailed designs of the replacement structures;
- Review geotechnical investigation reports as well as other design inputs, and develop detailed designs, technical specifications, drawings and bill of quantities to be included in the bidding documents for construction as well as the final costs estimates for project budget planning;
- Prepare the bridge design report including all design calculations and references to enable 3rd party design review;
- Undertake other tasks related to structural or drainage designs as agreed with the Team Leader.
- Submit specific bridge / culverts improvements or replacement related input to the feasibility study in Baidoa within 4 weeks of the assignment commencement.
- Submit the detailed design with technical specifications, bill of quantities and design drawings for bridge / culverts improvement works within 8 weeks of the assignment commencement (subject to timely availability of geotechnical investigation results).
- Submit the design report and costs estimates
The consultant will report to Design Team Leader on technical aspects of work and will report to the Project Manager on management aspects.
The consultant role does not have team management function.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering is required and/or Master's degree in areas relevant to the position requirements is desirable.
- Minimum of 8 years of demonstrable relevant Roads & Bridges experience.
- Minimum of 2 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Fluency in English is essential.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer with recognized institutions
• Minimum of 8 years of design experience in bridges / main drainage structures is required.
• Experience in modern bridge design and detailing software .
• Relevant working experience in Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
Other relevant information:
To be advised