Chief of Party – Zambia Business Enabling Environment
Tetra Tech , Zambia
Tetra Tech International Development Services headquartered in Arlington, Virginia is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates for a potential Chief of Party (COP) position on an anticipated U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project in Zambia.
The USAID/Zambia Business Enabling Environment (BEE) Activity will catalyze greater private sector investment and trade in rural areas by strengthening select Zambian government and civil society organizations to implement improved and streamlined policies and processes for economically viable rural enterprises, and by creating an enabling environment that incentives productive investments in trade, agricultural, energy, eco-tourism, and sustainable natural resource management
Position Description: The COP will be the principal point of contact in Zambia for procedural and substantive matters. The COP will coordinate and ultimately be responsible for all contract management and implementation. S/he will be the primary liaison with USAID/Zambia on technical matters and must adjust activities and operations in response to USAID/Zambia technical direction. The COP will also be responsible for ensuring quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the award.
The COP’s primary responsibilities are aimed at providing overall leadership, management and general technical direction of the entire project, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the award. This individual will be expected to identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments. This is anticipated to be a full-time position based in Zambia for five years.
- Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience, in economics, international development, agriculture or another relevant field;
- At least ten (10) years of demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of relevant development activities, especially in finance, business, investment, governance or rural development fields with a focus on business enabling environments or economic policies;
- At least seven (7) years of demonstrated experience in senior project management, including direct supervision of professional and support staff;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing challenges and opportunities to the business enabling environment in Sub-Saharan Africa and proposing strategies to capitalize on opportunities;
- Experience working with the public and private sectors to foster an inclusive business enabling environment that promotes private sector investment and trade, including access to regional and international markets for firms;
- Demonstrated ability to engage in multi-stakeholder dialogue, including sustaining partnerships and strong working relationships with donors, host country government counterparts, academic institutions, and civil society;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to think strategically and communicate his/her vision to partners and colleagues;
- Experience in agricultural, energy, natural resource management, and/or eco-tourism preferred;
- Proven experience navigating complex and high-pressure operating environments;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.