Communications and Development Coordinator
Semilla Nueva, Guatemala, Guatemala
Summary of the Organization
Malnutrition affects over a billion people worldwide and nearly half of children in Guatemala. Semilla Nueva works with scientists, farmers, and the Guatemalan government to promote biofortified corn as a sustainable and scalable solution to this global crisis. These seeds have been bred to have higher yields, better taste, and far more nutrients. This allows farmers and families to continue growing and eating what they traditionally have, while dramatically improving the nutrition of their children, and the entire food system.
Semilla Nueva works directly with farmers to test, improve and disseminate new seeds. We scale through collaborations with farmer groups, NGOs, the government and through direct sales of commercial seeds based on innovative social marketing campaigns. We have also constructed a national collaboration to promote biofortified seeds, which has helped nearly 20 organizations in the country reach 5,000 families in its first year. Our current seed, launched in 2016, has already changed the daily diets of up to 77,492 people, and we hope to reach up to 250,000 in 2019. 2018 marked a successful first year of commercial seed sales, proving that our concept works. which We hope that over the next five years, our seed sales will provide over half of our revenue, allowing Semilla Nueva to become more financially sustainable.
Our work has led to rapid growth and international recognition, including some of the leading awards in social entrepreneurship. We are seeking individuals to join our team that share our strong conviction for creating real development for rural families in Guatemala to help us continue on this path. Over the next five years, we expect to reach over a million families with more nutritious corn, reducing malnutrition at a national level.
Summary of the Position
We are hiring a Communications and Development Coordinator to hone and share Semilla Nueva’s message with a variety of national and international audiences. We seek an individual who can strengthen our institutional relationships through the creation of strategic donor management plans (using CRM software, consistent promotional materials tailored for large institutional donors and family foundations, and publications for international press. This individual will also lead efforts with our individual donors through field visits, maintenance of our donor database, and creating content for social media. The Communications and Development Coordinator will also be a point of contact for existing donors, keeping our supporters actively involved in our work in Guatemala. Our goal isn't just to get publicity and financing, but to create awareness about issues faced by rural Guatemalans. Communicating our successes, failures, and lessons learned is essential to the long-term goal of being leaders in agricultural development. In the last years we have grown tremendously as an organization and our programs are generating interest among larger organizations and across a wider audience. We need a highly skilled coordinator who can create and disseminate a cohesive, focused and powerful message about Semilla Nueva.
We are proud to have maintained a passionate and committed team with great relationships with our partner farmers and allies. We are looking for a new team member who wants to apply their skills and experience to help our organization grow, but equally looking for a team member who shares our values and passions.
This full-time position based in Guatemala City anticipates that 85% of the time will be in the SN office with 15% of time spent in rural Guatemala. The Communications and Development Coordinator will have extensive field time with farmers in our partner communities and direct contact with diverse stakeholders along with experience working on multicultural teams.
· Excellent writing/communications skills
· Experience leading social media and online fundraising campaigns
· Experience with fundraising and relationship management
· Experience in developing a concept and designing art and copy, including but not limited to interactive presentations, infographics and data visualizations, etc. for newsletters, applications, presentations, etc. using Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, etc.
· Experience with project and donor management
· Native/fluent English and intermediate Spanish (advanced a plus)
· A minimum of 2-3 years of work experience, preferably in a non-profit setting
· Demonstrated leadership and stress-management
· Team player whose adaptive to changes in plans
· Highly organized and able to manage simultaneous deadlines
· An autonomous learner with a willingness to develop new skills
· Familiarity with Wordpress
· Experience in the formatting and editing of deliverables, ensuring USAID branding and high-quality visuals are incorporated
· Experience with CRM software, preferably Salesforce
· Experience with grant reports
· Experience in team management
· Ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle or willingness to learn
· Photography/Videography experience
· Experience in sales and/or client relationship management a plus
Full-time position based in Guatemala City
Minimum commitment one year, preferably two
Ability to work independently, proactively, and prioritize/coordinate a variety of activities
Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team
Comfortable working in a fast-paced, constantly evolving work environment
Comfortable traveling to and spending time in rural parts of Guatemala with difficult living conditions
1. Developing Communications Strategy – Work jointly with the director of development to hone the message of Semilla Nueva and deliver it through a number of avenues such as Facebook, Instagram, videos, reports, and more. This requires the ability to gather “voices” from several different facets of the organization (e.g., farmers, field staff, donors, partnering institutions) and delivering them in impactful ways that engage the interest of existing and new supporters in our network.
2. Project Management – Manage deadlines with the internal team and external contractors to develop videos, photos, and graphic design materials. Will also be responsible for creating and maintaining our large donor management strategy using CRM software.
3. Collateral Design – This position will be the go-to person for development of all digital and print content. This may include annual/quarterly reports, pitch decks, and presentations. This also includes using graphic design software (Canva, Adobe Creative Suite) to create digital content for social media and giving campaigns.
4. Donor Relations – Work in various activities to maintain existing donors and engage new supporters. This may include creating thank you letters and donor appeals, sending e-blasts and newsletters, etc., and working with the development team to create video and photo content for institutional funders. The Communications and Development Coordinator will also be responsible for planning and organizing field visits with partners and donors in the field to showcase our programs and generate interest. The Communications and Development Coordinator will also need to be able to answer difficult questions on the venture prospectus, annual plan, and strategic plans, using relevant details to clarify or redirect inquiries.
5. Source Materials from the Field: Stay in constant contact between the field and the office to ensure that we have the appropriate materials for telling the Semilla Nueva story. This may involve directly visiting our field programs to capture photos and video, as well as coordinating with the field team to ensure receiving these materials and updates in a constant matter.
6. Press Outreach – Work with ED and director of development to identify key organizational stories and pitches. Cultivate relationships with members of local and international press to increase brand awareness and secure coverage.
7. Additional support and leadership – Responsible for additional activities for the Development department as needed. This may include data entry for our donor database, organizing monthly meetings, participating in presentations and conferences, or partial management of coordinators within the department. The Communications and Development Coordinator must model Semilla Nueva’s values, while working to promote a culture of such values among teammates and partners.
Salary: Competitive local salary, dependent on experience