CTG, 'Adan, Yemen
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we can act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Working under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission & the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office, the Construction Engineer will be responsible to oversee, supervise & manage the construction &/or rehabilitation of IOM office, accommodation guesthouse & warehouses in Aden in compliance with the project’s goals & objectives. S/He will oversee the day to day management & supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency & effectiveness of processes & activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructures.
- Plan, design &develop IOM office, accommodation guesthouse & warehouses building structures, prepare BoQs, models, charts, graphics & create construction drawings & design specification including use Computer Aided Design (CAD) technology for simulation purposes.
- Coordinate with UNDSS & other relevant entities to ensure compliance with MOSS / security standards & other relevant operational & legal requirements.
- Provide overall technical assistance to IOM construction projects (office, guesthouse & warehouses), from their planning to their implementation & monitoring.
- Responsible to ensure that effective implementation, monitoring & supervision tools are developed & implemented.
- Responsible to ensure effective quality control systems are in place & contractors work in compliance with technical specifications & IOM quality standards.
- Monitor & evaluate performance of service providers/contractors.
- Ensure all technical inputs & cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely & included in the project proposals & budgets.
- Support the Procurement & Logistics Unit in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction services.
- Take responsibility for overall progress & use of resources.
- Identify & manage risks & initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to IOM is achieved.
- Prepare weekly, interim, final project & handover reports & maintain the relevant projects records.
- Manage projects budgets, cash flow & obligations to ensure that deliverables are met & payments to contractors & personnel are received on time.
- Perform any other duties as may be required.
- This role will be working under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission & the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Middle East (essential).
- Advanced University Degree (Mater or equivalent) in Civil, Structural or Infrastructural Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience at national & international levels in the relevant field of civil engineering, especially in preparation of construction technical documentation.
- Experience in working in complex environments & large infrastructure &/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction, technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision.
- Experience, ability to address & manage all aspects of monitoring of a construction (legal aspects of positioning, procurement, law & knowledge of construction contracts, construction information technologies & follow up).
- Experience in managing & supervising medium to large scale construction works in the public sector.
- Knowledge of procurement, tendering, contracting processes & requirements.
- Excellent & proven experience in dealing with contractors & local partners.
- Working experience in the area of preparation, implementation & monitoring of technical/ (re)construction projects methodological & calculation skills.
- Experience in technical design of high rise structure is an asset.
- Knowledge of the UN rules, procedures & regulations would be an asset.
- Working experience in UN or other international development organization is an asset.
- Background/familiarity with an emergency.
- Advanced knowledge & skills in AutoCAD are required.
- Knowledge of Revit, ETABS, STAAD Pro is an asset.
- Strong computer skills & advanced working knowledge of MS Office.
- Project Management knowledge & skills is an asset.
- Fluency in written & oral English is required.
- Fluency in written & oral Arabic is an advantage.
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for action & manages constructive criticisms.
- Client Orientation: Works effectively well with client & stakeholders.
- Continuous Learning: Promotes continuous learning for self & others.
- Communication: Listens & communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- Creativity & Initiative: Actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services.
- Leadership & Negotiation: Develops effective partnerships with internal & external stakeholders.
- Performance Management: Identify ways & implement actions to improve performance of self & others.
- Planning & Organizing: Plans work, anticipates risks & sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism: Displays mastery of subject matter.
- Teamwork: Contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns & promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness: Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
- Resource Mobilization: Works with internal & external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Other relevant information: