CTG Global , Mudug, Somalia
Overview of position
The fundamental mission of our client is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For our client, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of our client, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
The Government of Somalia in partnership with our client Somalia received funding from the German Government through German bank for Reconstruction (KfW) towards the project titled Building Resilient School Communities in Somalia through Basic Education with the aim of working towards the improvement of education services in Jubaland (Lower Juba and Gedo), and Banadir.
The overall objective of the Project is to increase access to quality and affordable education services for the children in 69 target schools in Bandir and Jubaland. The Project will involve, among others, rehabilitation of xx classrooms and xxx toilets in 10 schools in Banadir and 56 schools in Jubaland.
our client requires the services of one Construction Officers to offer Technical Assistance and provide quality assurance in the tendering evaluation, project monitoring and supervision phases of all construction works. The Construction Officers primary role will be to monitor the onsite construction activities and report back to our client Somalia Supply and Education programme section
The efficient and effective support of the Construction Officer is linked to the successful implementation and completion of construction activities in target schools. The successful fulfillment of this role will directly impact the establishment of high improved learning environment in 69 target schools across Banadir and Jubaland for the most marginalized and vulnerable children in the country. This in turn contributes to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of our client to continue to provide program services to protect the rights of children, promote greater social equality to enable children to survive, develop and reach their full potential in society.
The Construction Officer will be based in Mogadishu and will divide time between the project sites. The Construction Officer will be expected to roam between all project sites to assist in the supervision of all programme construction activities and rehabilitation works. In close consultation with the Project Coordinator, s/he will:
- Assist with the bidding and tender evaluations processes.
· Provide technical inputs by working closely with Supply Section, Programme sections & implementing partners to ensure that the bidding process, technical & financial evaluations, negotiations (if any) and contracts awarded are in accordance with our client standards, rules and policy.
· Review and evaluate the technical and financial bids as requested in line with the instructions to bidder and evaluation criteria.
· During all stages of construction works be accountable for onsite project monitoring and reporting on a regular basis.
· Conduct mobilsiation meetings for all projects and approve contractor’s workplan, staffing schedule and methodology. Organise formal onsite mobilsations with relevant stakeholders and ensure all project documentation and certifications are in place prior to the beginning of works.
· Conduct regular site inspections at all project sites ensuring work is being undertaken according to the drawings, standards, specifications, timeline and budget. Ensure monitoring of the construction work at critical stages and hold points.
· Monitor the overall works of all contractors (construction, supervision etc.) and ensure key deliverables, contract items and quality of workmanship is being met.
· To advise our client on any potential risks, and propose corrective measures, regarding project timeline, project budget and quality of the works.
· Coordination of all construction and project related contracts.
· Ensure detailed records are kept according to our client standards to contribute to the preparation of official reports (including donor reports), enabling real-time tracking of construction progress.
· Organise overall project coordinating tools to ensure smooth implementation and delivery between the varying project contracts. Know in advance key dates and milestones and advise on any potential errors or risks in advance to ensure timely delivery of project.
· Evaluate the quality of construction works upon completion or at certain milestones and make recommendation for payments to be made to contractors or implementing partners.
· Ensure good working relations and communicate project status with contractors and stakeholders as directed.
· Ensure all parties are updated on project progress regularly.
· Undertake arrangements for visits to construction project sites for government and other stakeholders, which includes providing information and briefing on project activities and status.
· Communicate with local stakeholders on construction project details. Discuss recommended courses of action with the Project Coordinator.
· Report back to Project Coordinator any issues from the field including variation orders and advise accordingly.
· Project reporting
· Following site visits prepare routine inspection reports documenting results of visits and project progress.
· Maintain ongoing project monitoring and tracking tools including tables, reports, project tracking documents as required by our client and donors.
· Assist with drafting construction sections of donor, annual and other reports, as required by HQ and Supply Division.
· Provide updated information on programme/project financial and administrative status for analysis and report purposes. Analyse construction programme/project status and recommend appropriate adjustments. Prepare tables, graphs or other statistical data for technical review/monitoring purposes
The Construction Officer will report directly to the Project Coordinator whom in turn is supervised by the Chief of Supply & Logistics and the Chief of Education. The Construction Officer will work closely on a day-to-day basis with the Project Coordinator in collaboration with the client Education Program Section and our client Supply and Logistics Section. He/She will be expected to employ at all times good working relations with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) Federal and MoE Jubaland, external Contractors and other project stakeholders as required. The Construction Officer will contribute by providing technical and managerial support and oversight to the project especially for onsite supervision, management and monitoring of all rehabilitation and construction works.
· Diversity and inclusion
· Working with people
· Drive for Results
· Deciding and Initiating Action
· Planning and Organizing
· Applying Technical Expertise
· Following Instructions and Procedures
This role has no team management responsibilities.
· Computer Skills: Proficiency with Autocad (or drafting equivalent software), Structural Design Software, Xcel and MS Word required,
· Experience working on similar school/education sector projects is highly desirable.
· Computer Skills: familiarity with CAD software programs a plus.
· At least five (5) years’ experience working on construction projects in a project coordination capacity
· Experience working in the Jubaland and Benadir context highly desirable.
· Other Qualifications/Experience Required:
· Ability to travel within Jubaland state and Banadir region a non-negotiable.
· A high level of interpersonal, management skills, integrity and ability to work with complex teams.
· Proven ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines with minimum supervision.