Consultancy for FGM
UN Children's Fund, Cairo, Egypt
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The assignment will adopt a participatory approach in implementation to support GoE and UNICEF workplans with respect to FGM abandonment. The consultant will be based in Cairo, with frequent missions to the field. The consultant's work will be guided by ongoing FGM programmes and will be working under the direct supervision of Child Protection Officer and overall guidance of Child Protection Specialist in UNICEF Egypt.
ACTIVITIES, DELIVERABLES AND TIMELINES, PLUS BUDGET PER DELIVERABLE
Assignment is expected to be implemented in 230 days as follows:
- Support regional/international FGM and harmful practices technical consultation meetings as per guidance of UNICEF CP team.
- Act as a resource person during FGM medicalization workshops. Coordinate FGM medicalization related interventions at the governorate/district level, provide reports on progress and ensure technical inputs are well reflected.
- Work with the local NGOs on supervising the implementation of FGM abandonment activities in the field, in cooperation with UNICEF FGM Officer. Ensure implementation is according to the signed work plan and following the agreed-on indicators and targets.
- Maintain liaison with partners at the governorate and/or district level, communicate opportunities and challenges to UNICEF team for potential linkages to child protection systems strengthening and girls empowerment initiative. monitor progress, and support identification of.
- Draft internal reports in relation to the FGM abandonment programme including documentation of the on the ground interventions and preparing presentations.
- Support the update/production/ dissemination of harmful practices (FGM-Child Marriage) knowledge products.
- Supervise and support adolescent initiatives related to harmful practices trainings in the field (Egypt Youth Initiative, Meshwary, Y-PEER, etc..). Quality reporting/ review to be provided.
- Work with UNICEF Child Protection in the realization of the agreed outputs and indicators of the JP for 2019-2020
QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AND ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor degree in social sciences/ arts or any related field.
- Three-year professional work experience in project administration, including data collection and analysis preferably in child protection, adolescence programming and gender mainstreaming.
- Previous experience on working on adolescence development related issues, FGM abandonment or/and child rights.
- Well acquainted and experience with the Egyptian national system engaged in child protection and adolescence programming.
- Previous experience in working in a developmental international organization.