Country Manager – Lebanon
Spark, Beirut, Lebanon
Position:Country Manager Lebanon
Application Deadline:22nd November 2018
Duration:Till mid-August 2020 (with possibility of extension subject to funding)
The Country Manager is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Lebanon SPARK office, which entails overseeing, leading and managing the implementation of the current Higher Education program implemented in Lebanon. As we have a small team in Lebanon, this role is hands-on, so we need someone who will have a hands-on approach.
We are increasingly focusing on economic empowerment and promoting entrepreneurship among youth, and therefore, looking for a person who can help SPARK grow in Lebanon in both areas. The primary focus of this position should be on acquisitions of the new programmes and growth of the business.
The Country Manager will report to the Regional Programme Director and coordinate closely with the regional team and SPARK HQ.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to align expectancy and secure funding for the country programme;
- Leads, designs, and analyses need assessments and identify relevant programmatic interventions and new opportunities on behalf of SPARK;
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all narrative and financial reports related to the programmes, in collaboration with the field managers and staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities;
- Responsible for the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the implementation of the planned activities with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines;
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures;
- Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws and regulations, including in-country registrations
- Listen and create dialogue with your team members;
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, team structures, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Oversee the planning and construction of project budgets;
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken;
- Ensure and oversee appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
Requirements and Skills
- Academic background in humanitarian or development studies, political science or social studies;
- Background in education desirable;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in humanitarian and/or development aid;
- Experience with large multi-donor development programmes;
- Fluency in Arabic and English;
- People manager, motivator and influencer;
- Reliable, flexible, and problem solving person who has hands on attitude;
- Experience of representation at national and local levels;
- Proven record of managing a team, multiple projects and stakeholders;
- Eligible to work in Lebanon.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- Working in a small but growing office and the opportunity to take initiative and realise your ideas and plans;
- Remuneration according to relevant work between 3400-3600 USD gross;
- Dynamic team to work with.
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship to empower young, ambitious people to lead their fragile and conflict-affected societies into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing, international not-for-profit development organisation with 80+ staff members, in more than 14 offices around the world. SPARK supports refugees in the Middle-East by providing them with scholarships in universities and higher education institutions in the region. SPARK also supports young entrepreneurs in fragile states, to start or grow their own businesses.