Data Management Assistant (Java programmer)
Danish Refugee Council, Ukraine
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a qualified Livelihoods Assistant (Data Management Assistant / Java programmer). The Livelihoods Assistant will provide technical support to Livelihoods team, implementation and follow up of technical aspects of data management. Livelihoods Programme area is business training and SME development, business grants, life-skills training, literacy and numeracy training, vocational training, micro-credit loans, savings groups, group enterprise development and facilitation. Support and capacity building of government institutions, value chains development, advocacy activities.
Overall purpose of the role:
- Under supervision of Livelihoods Assistance Programme for Eastern Ukraine (LAP) Team Leader, contributes to implementation of DRC Livelihoods programmes via maintenance and development of the existing online software systems for working with the Livelihoods programme databases. The software covers: business and VET grants components, employment opportunities for IDPs and conflict-affected people, community based initiatives, support to employment centers, trainings, advocacy.
- Develops new technological solutions for Livelihoods programme beneficiaries – government institutions, local NGOs, etc.
- Provides administrative or technical support within sector area
- Assist the sector officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of sector activities
Geographic scope: Area (Slovyansk)
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Administrative and technical support
- Respond to the daily requests on the existing Livelihoods data management online systems’ needs, analysis of errors, small improvements, identification of possible gaps and elaboration of the ways of filling them
- Support stable work of the software and easy access to the database by Livelihoods Unit
- Upgrade the software in order to add new components and functions, that will make it more comprehensive and responsive to the Livelihoods Unit needs as well as more easy in use
- Elaborate and support new software solutions for upcoming DRC Livelihoods programmes
- Participate in capacity building projects and events for Livelihoods projects beneficiaries, such as institutions that might require support in terms of database-related software development / informational technologies / trainings, etc.
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities for the livelihoods programmes through introduction of viable IT solutions for data management
- Ensure protection of the personal data, stored in the online database, with all the up-to-date data protection technologies available
- Carry out basic tasks within sector area (e.g. data collection)
- Carry out administrative tasks
Follow given work plans and guidelines
To be successful in this role we expect you to have analytical skills and proven knowledge of data management. Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required experience and competencies:
Strong SQL skills in PostgreSQL
Strong skills in Unix systems
Good knowledge of personal data protection standards
Practical understanding of the needs of the online database users
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience (practical experience in sector area working for an INGO is strongly preferable).
- Experience in administrative tasks
- Excellent IT skills
- Experience with following standard procedures and guidelines
- Advanced English proficiency is preferable, intermediate level in written English is mandatory
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian (equally important)
Diploma or equivalent professional qualification. Due the nature of the position, a degree in IT, engineering or related area is strongly preferable.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’ core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values.
Contract length: 3 months with the possibility to extend
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Labor Code of Ukraine Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment; please refer to
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 26/05/2019**
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.