Deputy Chief Executive
UNOPS , Swaziland
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partner; peace-building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
RBM Partnership to End Malaria
The RBM Partnership to End Malaria is the global platform for coordinated action against malaria. It mobilizes for action and resources and forges consensus among partners. The Partnership is comprised of more than 500 partners committed to end malaria, including malaria endemic countries, their bilateral and multilateral development partners, the private sector, nongovernmental and community-based organizations, foundations, and research and academic institution.
The RBM partnership's strength lies in its ability to form effective partnerships both globally, regionally and nationally. Partners work together to scale up malaria-control and elimination efforts at country level, coordinating their activities to avoid duplication and fragmentation, and to ensure optimal use of resources. The partnership’s overall strategy aims to reduce malaria morbidity and mortality by reaching universal coverage of at risk populations and strengthening health systems.
The RBM Partnership is seeking a Deputy Chief Executive (DCE) to support the CEO in managing the RBM Partnership Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, and representing the Partnership at the global level. The RBM Partnership Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in Geneva, Switzerland.
Under the direct supervision of the CEO of the RBM Partnership to End Malaria, the Deputy Chief Executive(DCE) will have the following responsibilities:
- Leads support to malaria endemic countries to effectively implement malaria prevention, control and elimination activities, working closely with the RBM Management Team, RBM partners and donors
- Works closely with donors and partner organizations to promote and advocate for sustainable financing at global and national levels to support malaria-endemic countries to implement their national plans, including through increased domestic resource allocations.In collaboration with partners, identifies operational challenges hampering the efforts of sustainable financing at global and national levels to support malaria-endemic countries to implement their national plans, including through increased domestic resource allocations.
- In collaboration with partners, identifies operational challenges hampering the efforts of endemic countries, including resource deficiencies and works to solve these.
- Supports the CEO and RBM Board to keep malaria high on the political and developmental agendas.
- Promotes and supports regional approaches to the fight against malaria anchored in existing political and economic platforms such as regional economic communities.
- Works with partners to sustain momentum and mobilize funding for regional and national malaria elimination efforts
- Advocates for malaria elimination to become a central theme in the sustainable development agenda and in the context of Universal Health coverage
- Works with partner organizations towards empowering countries, communities and individuals to defeat malaria in the context of Zero Malaria Starts with me!
- Works with partner organizations to promote innovation and facilitate uptake of new malaria prevention and control tools for greater impact
- Liaises regularly with partner organisations, including key donors, international NGOs and malaria-endemic countries and leads the development and implementation of a partnership framework
- Monitors the Partnership’s progress toward key targets and provides the CEO with updates on progress, including identifying bottlenecks and constraints.
Leadership & Communications
- Assists the CEO in responding to enquiries from the media to the Partnership and ensures that appropriate responses are made in a timely manner.
- Supports the CEO in facilitating and promoting communication between the Board and Partners on policy and programme issues.
- Brings additional management and technical capacity to the RBM Management Team and facilitates smooth operation of the Secretariat’s programmatic activities including through the supervision of the management team technical staff.
Represents the partnership at high level events, under the leadership of the CEO
Any other tasks as identified by the CEO