DEPUTY CHIEF OF PARTY - OPERATIONS
CARE USA, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) of Operations will lead operational elements of the $48 million Feed Future Ethiopia – Livelihoods for Resilience Activity, which runs from December 2016 to December 2021 and targets 97,900 Productive Safety Net Program (PSNP) households in 27 Woredas of Tigray, Amhara, and Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples (SNNP) regions. The goal of the project is to reduce food insecurity and increase resilience for chronically food insecure households, to enable these households to graduate from the PSNP with resilience.
The DCOP of Operations will lead the project’s M&E and learning team and support partnerships, financial management, and accountability throughout the project consortium. He/she will work with partners to identify and resolve operational challenges, and promote ongoing learning and quality improvements throughout the remainder of the project.
The DCOP of Operations will partner with the Chief of Party to ensure quality, efficiency, integrity, and learning throughout the project’s duration. Core to his/her work will be the promotion of a learning culture that pursues evidence-based actions to expand successful activities and uses adaptive management to adjust activities as needed.
The DCOP of Operations is not a Key Personnel position, and therefore neither CARE nor USAID can support the applicant in obtaining a work permit. The applicant must have prior approval to work in Ethiopia.
- Manage the MEL team
- Guide project partnerships
- Lead financial management of the innovation fund
- Oversee project operations
- Support overall project management
- Master’s degree in International Development, Agriculture/Agronomy, Economics, Business, Public Health, Nutrition, Water and Sanitation Engineering, and/or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of recent and progressively more challenging experience working in development or related programming
- Substantial experience working in a management capacity on USAID-funded projects and knowledge of USAID rules and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners
- Strong communication and team management/interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical/critical thinking/M&E skills
- Excellent English writing skills