Deputy Chief of Party
CARE USA, Niamey, Niger
CARE is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party - Technical for an anticipated USAID-funded Youth Connect activity in Niger and Burkina Faso. The Youth Connect activity seeks to equip vulnerable young women and men with technical and life skills, networks, and capital for increased strategic economic opportunities. This project is expected to be a five-year cooperative agreement in the $25-50 million range.
The solicitation is expected to be released in January 2020 and awarded in May 2020. This position is subject to project award and funding and will be based in Niamey, Niger. Relocation and international allowances may be available.
- Provide day-to-day senior technical direction and coordination across all youth engagement, community engagement, livelihoods development, entrepreneurship, access-to-finance, gender/GESI, and other technical activities.
- Facilitate effective and timely communication and coordination among technical staff and with other project senior leadership regarding all Youth Connect technical programming in support of timely, responsive and optimal technical activities.
- Work in collaboration with the MELD (Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Director), DCOP – Operations, and Security team for seamless project implementation.
- Interface with both USAID and other counterparts regarding the overall direction of the project in the absence of the COP.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with key stakeholders, including government counterparts, grantees, private sector, and implementing partners.
- Manage, supervise, and mentor the program’s technical staff across all offices and both countries.
- Coordinate regularly with the COP on technical management and decision-making.
- Master’s degree in economic development, youth development, political science, international relations, public administration, conflict mitigation, business, or a related area, with 8+ years of relevant experience or, a Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in the implementation and management of international donor- (including USAID-) funded projects that focus on youth, youth workforce development, and/or conflict and peacebuilding.
- At least 7 years of experience working in Niger and/or Burkina Faso.
- Strong working familiarity with Tillaberi, Niger required. Working familiarity with Diffa, Maradi, Zinder in Niger and/or Ouest, Sahel, or Centre-Nord in Burkina Faso an asset.
- Strong management experience, with at least 2 years managing large technical teams.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality.
- Fluent French and full professional proficiency in English. Knowledge of local languages is a plus.