Deputy Director, Marketing and Campaign
World Food Programme, Roma, Italy
The United Nations World Food Programme saves lives in emergencies and changes the lives of millions of people around the world. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger by 2030. Every day, WFP works to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need to thrive.
Brand-marketing and public engagement is critically important for WFP as we try to influence individual, private sector and government funding. As we seek to raise the profile of WFP and our work, we must ensure that we continue to build our brand as the leading humanitarian organization fighting hunger worldwide.
A strategic brand-marketing programme that engages the public by utilizing influencers and other private sector partners in targeted integrated marketing campaigns will allow WFP to establish itself in the public consciousness, triggering action to end world hunger from among engaged citizens and private companies, while powerfully reinforcing our mandate with governments and civil society.
WFP’s brand-marketing efforts will take the stories and messages that our work provides and use them to build a conversation about hunger issues in the public sphere – especially among target audiences. We will establish the essential characteristics of our brand a build a meaningful, long-term relationship with our audiences, thereby creating the preconditions for fundraising.
The Deputy Director, Marketing and Campaign is responsible for designing and creating WFP’s Marketing Campaigns and Brand Building activities including working with, Goodwill Ambassadors (GWA) & influencers, marketing partnerships. This role will work effectively across all teams in the organization including, fundraising and operations. This role will work directly with the Director of Communications, Advocacy and Marketing to build a culture of marketing across the organisation and help create the best conditions for the efforts to raise funds from individuals and the private sector. In essence, this role is to help make the World Food Programme famous, trusted and loved.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Strategy & Planning
- Lead development and drive implementation of WFP’s marketing strategy to increase brand awareness, trust and attributes and maximize WFP positioning in order to set the preconditions for fundraising, diversify donors’ base and expand public’s support;
- Develop a marketing hub for the organization that has clear processes, approvals structures, and maintain brand guidelines as they evolve;
- Build productive relationship with Private Sector Division and relevant corporate FR/marketing products on specific acquisition and upgrade strategies;
- Develop an annual marketing plan and budget, based on organizational priorities and needs for marketing internally and externally;
- Lead the development and execution of WFP audience mapping and engagement strategy, contribute to strong ways of working on audience engagement across the organisation, and hold accountability to deliver compelling content for advocates and public;
- Foster productive relationship with other divisions, Liaison Offices and RBx within WFP to maximize opportunities and share and implement best practices as needed;
- Actively participate and co-lead with the Head of Digital and social media team to develop and implement a clear digital marketing strategy that includes clear outcomes, monitoring, measurement and evaluation;
- Take lead of WFP Goodwill Ambassadors Programme and implement the Cause Advocacy framework in coordination with the Strategic Planning and Coordination team;
- Hold accountability that campaign priorities are linked to WFP’s corporate objectives.
- Build effective and efficient relationships with external marketing vendors, brand agency, PR firms, production companies and media buyer, including building and managing project budgets, deliverables and contracts;
- Formulate and manage media and marketing pro-bono agency and corporation relationships in the achievement of the fundraising and awareness organizational goals;
- Lead on an annual market research plan, uncovering the insights needed to drive development of our brand positioning and market understanding.
- Take responsibility to support Private Sector Division’s strategy and efforts in increase donors’ base and maximize donor engagement;
- Work in partnership with all mission teams to increase the profile of the impact of WFP both domestically and internationally;
- Take lead to strengthen an effective supporter journey across all channels to enable greater engagement and familiarity with WFP.
- Hold accountable for teams to use strong project management, planning and budgeting to improve delivery;
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation leads to effective learning and timely course correction.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced university degree in Economics, International development, Social sciences or other relevant area, or First University degree with additional relevant experience and advanced training/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced University degree in Marketing, Communications or related field or University degree with additional years of experience
- Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- A minimum fifteen (15) plus years of relevant progressively responsible experience in marketing and brand management and implementation of marketing strategies;
- Strong digital marketing strategy, brand building and implementation experience (4-5 years) in non-profit sector is a strong advantage.
- Understanding and expertise in applying marketing in a pro-social context
- Experience in strategic partnership at global and country level, aimed at positioning the organization within different global and national level agendas.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Effective project management and performance measurement skills;
- A track record as a strategic thinker, creative problem solver, with an ability to work very collaboratively and influence change.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Non - Rotational
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is however classified as “non-rotational” which means the incumbent shall not be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as rotational.