Deputy mental health and psychosocial support coordinator (M/F)
MDM, Erbil, Iraq
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s. During its first mission in the country, MdM was providing general and specialized medical services (surgery, training programs for traditional birth attendants). Since then MdM had several programs which included paediatric surgery, contributing to the renewal of techniques and knowledge of surgical, medical and paramedical staff in 1997, emergency medical activities in 2002, building local capacity on basic emergency healthcare services at community level in 2006. From 2009 to 2011, MdM supported an Iraqi NGO in the implementation of a program aimed at improving the skills of midwives and traditional birth attendants in accordance with recognized international standards.
In 2014, with the arrival of ISIL, MdM started to provide immediate healthcare support through curative and preventive care including MHPSS services to IDPs and host communities in the Kurdistan region of Iraq (KR-I). Later, MdM expanded its support to the most vulnerable IDPs and host communities outside of the KR-I region, in Kirkuk Governorate in july 2015 and in Ninewa Governorate in april 2016. Since 2018, MdM has developed a program where activities are gradually handed over to the MoH.
The current program focuses on supporting the local health authorities in providing quality PHC services (including MHPSS and GBV response) and continue to strengthen the capacities of local public health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates, to provide quality care and respond to health needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
• A combination of direct and complementary services, especially related to general health, sexual and reproductive health (SRH), while contributing to the health system strengthening through capacity building at DOH level
• Mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS)
• Gender based violence (GBV) integrated within the PHCC general health services, SRH and MHPSS services
• As a cross cutting approach MdM is planning to develop a community health based (CHB) approach to ensure community participation, while empowering individuals
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the MHPSS coordinator and in close collaboration with the field teams, you ensure the implementation of MdM interventions and the delivery of quality MHPSS programs.
Your main responsibilities are to :
Implementation and monitoring of the MHPSS programs
- Participate actively in grant opening meetings, program review meetings and grant closure meetings
- Support technically the MHPSS program teams and participate in health-MHPSS needs assessments
- Support technically the MHPSS program teams in each base in designing, planning and implementing the project’s activities
- Monitor the implementation of the MHPSS program activities on timeliness and quality and ensure compliance with the objectives set in the project proposals
- Track the performance indicators defined, signal any difficulties encountered in project implementation
- Work in close collaboration with the medical team, GBV team, and MEAL department to ensure integration of the health program activities
- Review the internal reports of the program teams for the MHPSS component
- Analyze the monthly MHPSS data from the field in coordination with the MHPSS coordinator
- Follow up and analyze country MHPSS data with the support of the MHPSS coordinator
Reporting and proposal writing
- Prepare reports for planned needs assessment and submit to the MHPSS coordinator
- Prepare with the MHPSS coordinator the monthly reports
- Contribute to donor report writing
- Participate in identifying MHPSS-related needs in coordination with the MHPSS coordinator
- Contribute in the preparation of project proposals for the MHPSS sector and the development of new proposals
- Participate in the strategy development of the mission
Technical supervision and support of MHPSS program staff
- Supervise and guide technical MHPSS staff, including setting objectives in coordination with the line managers in the field
- Plan in coordination with MHPSS coordinator and field teams regular supervision visits in the field
- Identify training needs for MHPSS staff and other MdM staff and provide organisational, and technical support for trainings
- Work closely with the MHPSS coordinator to design, develop and review training tools and supervision tools
Logistical administrative and HR support
- Contribute to analysing bids made by suppliers for purchases
- Participate in monthly financial forecast for planned program activities
- Draw up job descriptions for the members of the health team
- Participate actively in the recruitment for MHPSS staff
- Participate in the semi-annual performance reviews for MHPSS staff in coordination with the line managers
- Ensure MdM’s internal regulations are understood and complied with by your team
Internal and external coordination
- Represent MdM and ensure good relations are maintained with stakeholders, including local authorities, DoH, and other NGOs
- Attend coordination meetings on relevant MHPSS matters
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: as soon as possible
Position based in Erbil with regular field visits ( 50 – 75 %) to Kirkuk, Dohuk, Sinjar
Gross monthly salary: 2 845 euro
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Psychiatrist or psychologist with an accomplished specialization degree
Project Management training
At least 2 years relevant professional experience in similar position in humanitarian sector
At least 2 years’ experience in supervision of MHPSS staff at PHCC and or communities programs
Experience in remote management and post emergency
Experience in participating in proposal writing is an asset
Capacity building skills
Supportive management style (experience managing and supervising staff)
Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
Flexibility, and able to adjust to changing context and situations
Languages: English mandatory ; Arabic, Kurdish or French are an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.