Deputy Project Director/ Team Lead of the Integrated Systems Unit - Ascend
Sightsavers , Hants, United Kingdom
Sightsavers is looking for a Deputy Project Director/ Team Lead of the Integrated Systems Unit to work within the Ascend Programme.
Accelerating the Sustainable Control and Elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases (ASCEND) is a high profile, high value, multi-partner programme, which makes a significant contribution to the control and elimination of the 5 Preventive Chemotherapy (PC) NTDs across 13 countries. Sightsavers is the lead supplier, working directly in partnership with the SCI Foundation (SCIF), Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM), Mott MacDonald, M&C Saatchi and Accenture Development Partners.
The Integrated Systems Unit (ISU) is responsible for delivering innovation in integrating data, knowledge, systems, tools and procedures across the ASCEND programme and presents project data to help inform adaptive project management decisions. The ISU coordinates the provision of timely technical support throughout ASCEND by way of the Technical Advisors. This unit works with the FCDO’s (formerly DFID) Third-Party Monitoring supplier on information requests.
Location: Haywards Heath, UK (flexible locations and working arrangements within the UK will be considered)
Contract: Fixed Term until March 2022
About the Role
The Deputy Project Director/Team Lead Integrated Systems Unit role forms an integral part of the ASCEND project’s senior leadership team responsible for the delivery of an integrated technical advice and data systems strategy to ensure the collection of high quality data, through globally standardised survey processes, in additional to technical support, for reporting, learning and decision-making across 13 African countries in line with ASCEND project goals. The Deputy Director will:
- Contribute to the promotion of a culture of team engagement
- Oversee the provision of technical guidance and advice to Ascend West
- Oversee the design of an integrated data systems strategy
- Deliver an integrated data systems strategy for NTDs in 13 countries i.e Benin, Burkina Faso, CAR, Chad, Cote D’Ivoire, DRC, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Niger, Nigeria and Sierra Leone
- Provide direction to, and oversight of the Integrated Systems Unit
- Ensure the timely delivery of technical advice
- Ensure coordination with Country Principles to deliver the technical aspects of the programme
- Work with the Third-Party Monitoring (TPM) supplier to ensure they have the data needed to provide a quality assurance and accountability role to improve overall performance
- Manage risk and escalate as necessary
- Work closely with the Ascend Project Director in the development and coordination of the monitoring and evaluation framework and the implementation of activities to ensure recognised global standards are met
We are looking for an individual experienced in managing people and resource, with the confidence to use their influence within the decision-making process. You will know your own mind but also be a balanced decision-maker. It’s important that you have lived and worked within a developing country for a significant period and that you have worked methodically with governments over time, guiding their approach.
You will possess:
- A post-graduate degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Extensive experience and/or qualifications in programme/project management in private, humanitarian or development sectors
- Experience of sharing and capturing good practice
- Understanding and experience of a partnership approach to project delivery
- Experience in developing country contexts
- Ability to lead programmes within a matrix structure without compromising the roles of key project personnel
- Ability to work collaboratively and build stakeholder consensus
- Ability to identify key risks problem solve and rapidly escalate critical issues (no surprise environment)
- Good analytical and IT skills are required for the review and development of programme plans and forecasts
- External insight, particularly when considering system and process options
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for people with a disability.
This is a really exciting and involved role, crucial to the success of the project. Further details can be found within the job description.