Director of Advocacy and Communication
Save the Children , Niamey, Niger
ROLE PURPOSE: As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in Niger, the Director of Advocacy and Communication shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office. The Director of Advocacy and Communication in his/her capacity is responsible for providing leadership to ensure excellence in serving members and their donors, in both emergency and development contexts.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters' degree in an area of social development, communications or equivalent.
- A general appreciation of the issues concerning the INGO sector with an in-depth knowledge in communications, marketing and/or fundraising
- Recommended a minimum of 7 years' management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, with experience in successfully leading the development and implementation of communication and campaign strategies for an international humanitarian organisation, preferably in Niger, or the West & Central Africa Region.
- Demonstrable track record of leading change which has led to significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind sets
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Experience of building personal networks, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation
- Has a strong international network within media and marketing to draw
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English and French. Similar skills in Hausa / Djarma and other local languages an advantage
- Preferred: experience and skills in using computer software, publishing packages, web-design and knowledge management systems to produce and manage high quality communications materials for presentations, publications and internet/xtranet
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Willingness to travel to Save the Children's field offices and operational areas on a regular basis
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Understanding of Save the Children's vision and mission and a commitment to its objectives and values