Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning, Mozambique Market Systems
Winrock , Mozambique
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking an experienced Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning to provide adaptive management in implementing an anticipated USAID project to improve food security through investments in the agriculture sector under the Mozambique Market Systems project. The objective of the anticipated award will be to accelerate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase food security in Nampula, Zambezia, and Sofala provinces. The project will use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The project will use innovative partnerships to incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Mozambique’s agriculture sector while increasing production capacity and market access and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning will be responsible for overseeing monitoring and evaluation systems and drive the collaborating, learning, and adapting agenda of the USAID-funded Mozambique Market Systems Development project. S/he will design and maintain systems for the accurate and timely collection and analysis of project data. S/he will work closely with the technical team to provide analysis of project interventions and drive improvements to deliver results.
- Provide technical leadership for MEL to the project team to ensure USAID MEL requirements are met on timely basis and guides data collection, management, analysis and visualization, and reporting progress towards indicator targets and results – based on both quantitative and qualitative inputs.
- Build capacity of MEL and technical staff, partners and key stakeholders in these areas, and ensure compliance;
- Design and develop the monitoring, evaluating, learning, and research plan for the project, including selecting and defining indicators, setting targets for all indicators, planning data collection methods, tools, and reporting formats; and lead MEL plan revisions as needed.
- Lead process of data verification and review of data source documentation;
- Develop and put in place efficient and accurate data collection and analysis system and procedures that include efficient processes for collecting and analyzing data and ensuring data quality; and conduct internal DQAs
- Submit data to donor reporting system (DIS) on timely basis, and coordinate with Home Office MEL staff to develop and implement a data management plan to submit selected project datasets to USAID’s Development Data Library (DDL)
- Lead Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) approaches throughout implementation;
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and achieve meaningful results;
- Lead knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with target countries’ governments;
- Oversee internal research and evaluation efforts of the project, from the design stage to sharing findings as well as preparing for external evaluations;
- Work with local partners to ensure application of high-quality MEL activities and data collection and provide ongoing supervision and technical assistance to partners, as needed;
- Participate in Winrock International’s Community of Practice;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to ensure annual workplans are aligned with the MEL plan to meet annual and LOP targets;
- Collaborate with communications team to visualize and disseminate important findings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Advanced degree in social sciences, such as statistics, public health, public policy, economics or a related field, and/or specialized training/certification in monitoring & evaluation.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing complex MEL systems for international development projects, preferably with USG funded projects;
- Experience managing large MEL databases and conducting timely data analysis and developing reports. SQL database experience preferred;
- Experience in both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis;
- Experience designing, testing and managing surveys required;
- Experience with capacity building in MEL required;
- Experience with mobile data collection strongly preferred;
- Proven record of designing and implementing data collection tools including surveys;
- Experience in similar position in focused on agriculture, enterprise development, or market systems development strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with USG donor MEL requirements;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong research or survey design experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English;
- Familiarity using technology for data collection, management and analysis
- Proficiency in word processing, database management, statistical analysis, survey, and presentation software (Microsoft).
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.