Durable Solutions Officer
IOM , Erbil, Iraq
The Return and Recovery Unit (RRU) within IOM Iraq works to remove the initial obstacles to Internally
Displaced Persons (IDPs) return and reintegration in Iraq’s post-conflict areas and lay the foundation for
longer-term recovery, economic development and reconstruction in general. Under the general guidance of
Chief of Mission (CoM), the overall supervision of Head, Return and Recovery Unit and Durable Solutions
and Community Engagement Senior Programme Coordinator, the administrative supervision of the Head of
Sub Office (HoSO) and the direct supervision of the Durable Solutions and Community Engagement
Programme Coordinator in close coordination with Regional Coordinators, the incumbent will be responsible
for the following duties:
The position is based in Erbil or Baghdad office, with at least 60% of time spent working in different
governorates based on operational needs.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Lead the adaptation and operationalization of methodologies and tools to lay the ground for durable
solutions related interventions and ensure coherence in the implementation across all regions.
- Support the roll out and monitor the implementation of standards and procedures, for the return,
relocation, and local integration programming.
- Train and mentor field operation teams in preparation of and during the implementation of return and
other durable solution programme activities in order to ensure proper use of relevant tools and
approaches and promote coherence across different regions and operations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of all operational activities by providing technical support
to operations teams in selected areas across the country.
- Ensure a presence in field locations when durable solutions programme interventions are being
implemented, as for example during return movements, in areas of origin following return movements
to ensure the necessary follow up, monitoring and service provisions takes place in line with technical
- When on deployment in specific field locations, meet with staff and local authorities as required to
develop a solid understanding of issues and challenges in each region, and to ensure a timely
implementation of activities in line with standards of quality.
- Support review of reports and analysis on return areas, and making visits to said areas, to conduct
assessments, support and monitor activity implementation based on displacement and trends in progress
to durable solutions.
- Ensure close correspondence with other organisations and coordination structures at the governorate level and relevant IOM colleagues for the coordination and implementation of returns and durable solutions related interventions in the assigned area.
- Ensure technical considerations impacting operational planning, implementation, monitoring, and phase out of operations.
Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, International
Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic university or institution with three years
of relevant professional experience; or
University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
Experience and Skills:
Experience in managing emergency operations in camps and other displacement settings
Experience in managing several types of community-based projects.
Experience in interventions aimed at supporting return and post-conflict recovery.
Experience in liaising and building effective partnerships with government authorities, other national
and international counterparts, including UN agencies, national and international NGOs, coordination
Proven ability to supervise, coach, and direct staff and manage operations in transitional or postconflict
Previous working experience in Iraq or the Middle East and Northern Africa region is advantageous.
Willing to conduct constant travel within the Area of Responsibility.
Fluency in English, Kurdish and Arabic is required.
Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
Shares knowledge and experience.
Positive, constructive attitude.
Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a
minimum of comfort.
Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of
sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).