East Darfur Area Manager
Relief International, Sudan
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. RI specializes in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which RI calls The RI Way — emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, RI empowers communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for themselves.
The Area Manager has overall program management responsibility to ensure RI projects in East Darfur are high impact, compliant, and delivering quality deliverables and outputs in a timely manner. In addition to program technical oversight, the Area Manager will be responsible for coordinating and providing oversight of the East Darfur support departments (M&E, finance, operations and logistics, human resources, IT, security, etc.). The Area Manager will be the liaison with state and local government entities, providing oversight and guidance to local NGO partners, and contributing to growing RI’s East Darfur program portfolio.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned projects, working to ensure both short / long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local staff within the budget and project duration.
- With the larger RI program and support team, develop and implement an appropriate and effective program strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators, for activities in consultation with Technical Coordinators and field officers, and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to RI, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Participate in new proposals, linked to the country strategy, identify new opportunities, and engage in capture activities.
- Line-manage the Sector Officers(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of project objectives, and opportunity for feedback.
- Provide staff coaching and technical supervision to develop ownership / responsibility for activities.
- Manage the project budget together with the East Darfur Finance Officer for the assigned projects and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet RI standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned location of East Darfur, RI in-country and HQ Technical Assistance Department managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in all Cluster coordination meetings at the state level and other working groups or meetings as required, representing RI and feeding back to the staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the programs, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Implement projects in line with RI, donor, country and international standards i.e. SPHERE and HAP standards.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree – International Relations or related field. Master’s preferred. Public health background preferred.
- Minimum of four years management of humanitarian programming experience in project cycle management, preferably in low income/conflict-affected countries.
- Superior writing/editing and oral communication skills in English preferred. Excellent interpersonal skills and cross-cultural communication.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies, national and international staff.
- Ability to act independently to identify and analyse problems and recommend solutions. Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote field sites on a regular basis.
- Prior experience in Sudan an added advantage.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation