Entrepreneurship and Micro Finance Coordinator
Relief International, South Sudan
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Position Summary: Relief International’s Livelihoods program in Maban County aims to strengthen livelihoods, improve local agricultural productivity, and reduce pressure on natural resource and the environment to promote peaceful co-existence among refugee and host community population. The Entrepreneurship program is a holistic entrepreneurship development approach to empowering the potential and existing entrepreneurs to start and run their businesses the right way. It skills both individuals and groups in running sustainable business ventures.
Working under the overall responsibility of the Livelihoods Manager, the Entrepreneurship and Micro Finance Coordinator will be responsible for provision of Entrepreneurship and Micro-finance related technical guidance to livelihoods program staff and facilitate quality impact-focus interventions in project targeted locations. S/he will be expected to provide technical guidance on the full range of Entrepreneurship, vocational training and VSLA activities. This includes provision of technical advice, capacity building of staff, as well as influencing policy and practice through research, analysis and advocacy. He/she will be responsible for the development, start-up, ongoing support, continuing development, and daily technical backstopping of all Entrepreneurship and VSLA activities under Relief International in Maban County. He/she will also work closely with all team members, partners, counterparts to ensure coordination and planning, and be responsible for compiling reports, supporting with M&E, assessments among other tasks.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide strategic direction, technical advice and overall supervision of the Entrepreneurship and micro finance program.
- Collaborate closely with other actors in the Livelihoods sector, including representing RI at livelihoods sector and other related stakeholder or coordination meetings.
- Review the short term and long term plans for delivery of project activities and provide guidance to the RI staff to improve planning, management and delivery.
- Proactively support development and revision of M&E system liked to indicators and information management in close coordination with the M&E Manager
- Analysis of program databases to report on key indicators and advise on improved methodologies when applicable.
- Lead the development of learning documents and case studies that support routine country level and donor reporting as appropriate
- Design and implement capacity building activities aimed at enhancing skills of local staff in delivering livelihoods activities
- Ensure beneficiaries are tracked for various activities and appropriate documentation / information on beneficiaries is collected and recorded
- Provide real time technical advice to project staff through direct regular field visits.
- Ensure that RI provides quality services that meet SPHERE and other international standards.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the overall project work plan, with technical assistance in the areas of entrepreneurship and VSLA cutting across all sectors.
- Conduct periodic initial and refresher Training of Trainer and Competency Reinforcement workshops on entrepreneurship using the RI provided training manual and trainer's guide.
- Develop and implement a clear strategy for managing the small business grants scheme for PoCs in Maban.
- Design a needs based training of entrepreneurs' program that will be implemented by the trainers.
- Provide strategic guidance to trainers and support to entrepreneurs through appropriate trainings and other support activities.
- Oversee the business planning training sessions of the applicants and the implementation of a trainee follow-up program for all PoCs that undergo the entrepreneurship training.
- Prepare periodic progress reports in areas of entrepreneurship outlining both quantitative and qualitative outputs and outcomes of the intervention.
- Design a basic gender mainstreaming strategy to be included in all the activities carried out.
- Lead the development of an appropriate selection criteria for start-up recipients in collaboration with UNHCR which includes guiding the selection of potential grantees before, during, and after the presentations.
- Lead the organization and planning of pitch competitions.
- Conduct a feasibility studies, evaluating the various sites of each of potential businesses and write a feasibility report on each of the potential grantees' investments advising on the funds allocation with due diligence.
- Oversee the grant cash award process. Take the lead in identifying the financial service providers.
- Develop business assessment tools to be used as performance measures during Monitoring and Evaluation of the grants including establishing a monitoring framework so that the program can continue to easily follow-up with beneficiaries and track key performance targets.
- In collaboration with the program manager, support technical design/review/development of proposals and projects relevant to the sector.
Qualifications & requirements:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Advanced degree in Development studies, economics or related field is preferred
- Should be an ILO Certified Master Trainer of the SIYB Program.
- least 4 years’ professional experience leading, managing, and implementing livelihood based programs with focus on Entrepreneurship and micro-finance in refugee or IDP contexts.
- Experience in working with enterprises in developing countries.
- Demonstrated capacity to plan, schedule and organize training programs in remote areas.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in developing training manuals for trainers and entrepreneurs (potential or existing).
- Experience in financial literacy training of trainers.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Strong English skills, speaking, reading, writing are required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.