Finance and Control Manager Amsterdam
Spark, Amsterdam, Netherlands The
Finance and Control Manager
Position: Finance and Control Manager
Application Deadline: 30 of November 2019
Duration: 40 hours per week for at least 12 months
Start Date: Asap
Are you the finance professional who wants a leading role in improving our financial systems? We look for a financial expert who also has a passion for developing other finance staffs in our international setting.
SPARK is looking for the Finance and Control Manager who will be responsible for active contribution to financial and control related strategic issues in SPARK and timely and accurate accounting, internal and external reporting and compliance with (donor) policies and requirements for all assigned projects in the region. This is a new position in SPARK.
Together with other managers you are responsible for executing our strategy and our long-term sustainable success. On a day-to-day basis you manage our finance, projects with flair and determination. Managers in SPARK have a strong focus on the people they work with, are decisive and step up to the plate when necessary.
The Finance and Control Manager will report directly to the Finance Director who is member of SPARK’s Board of Directors and responsible for all Finance matters in SPARK. From our office in the heart of Amsterdam, the Finance and Control Manager will be supervise the Control Department which includes two Controllers and will supervise one Global Finance Officer and Bookkeeping department consisting of 3 staffs in Belgrade.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
● Execute and exercise financial management that supports and guides the project management cycle
● Contributes to excellent and efficient financial management, ensures smooth internal communication regarding financial reporting and financial issues;
● Execute treasury policy and practice that minimizes currency and financial risks in balance with minimized (bank) costs
● Manage efficient and cost effective financial bookkeeping
Administrative Organisation (AO) and Internal Control (IC)
● Manage and contribute to overall good quality AO (in cooperation with Operational Director) aiming at an appropriate financial structure that accommodates growth and cost effectiveness
● Ensures donor requirements are integrated in the operational (planning) processes and ensures compliance in reporting and filing
● Maintain good financial control for implementing partner (IP) management
● Manage and improve and maintain newly established Internal control function
● In coordination with FD, manage all (external) audit processes so that financial and organisational trust in SPARK is increased
Building best-of-class operational models
● On people: Building the finance function at SPARK by retaining, training and developing talented finance professionals
● On processes: fine-tune financial administrative processes and in that find the optimum balance between control and agility/flexibility.
● On systems: play a key role in the implementation of a new financial/ERP IT system
Staff Management and Personal development
● Ensure all colleagues in the Finance and Control department achieve their objectives, result areas and continue to develop
● Listen and create dialogue with your team members. Motivate, support and encourage the team to care for them and achieve results in sometimes complex situations
● Ensure continuous personal development based on analysis, gap analysis and strategic needs for the own function.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
Requirements and Skills
● Eligible to work in EU
● Approximately 7 + years of experience in comparable functions in field of finance management and/or control
● A degree, preferred a Master’s, in the field of financial management and/or control
● Proven track record and an appetite to train, develop and manage other financial management and control staff members
● Preferably relevant experience and expertise to play a senior and responsible role in the project team that will replace the existing Pluriform financial software with a new financial /ERP package.
● Fluency in spoken and written English (Dutch and Arabic are an extra asset)
● Willingness and possibility to travel several times a year
● Develop and show an attitude of continuous learning and willingness to share this with the organisation
● Reliable, flexible, and problem solving person
● A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
● Remuneration based on experience in range from 4300-4900 euro gross per month based on 40 hours excluding holiday allowance.
● A contract for at least 12 months, with possibility of extension;