Norwegian Refugee Council, Badgis, Afghanistan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We protect displaced people and support them as they build a new future. We started our relief efforts after World War Two. Today, we work in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. We specialise in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene.
We stand up for people forced to flee. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend displaced people's rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena. NRC’s Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva is a global leader in monitoring, reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We respond quickly to emergencies.Our expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. Our experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
Around 6,000 men and women work for the Norwegian Refugee Council.Most of us are hired locally to work in the field, and a small number are based at our head office in Oslo. Many of our colleagues were once themselves fleeing their homes.
Purpose of the job:
The finance assistant will help implement and monitor NRC’s financial management activities in Badghis Office. The finance assistant role is to assist in day to day implementation of financial responsibilities as defined.
Note: For more details about this position, please refer to the JD attached at the bottom.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated.
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team.
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Review the supporting documentation Purchase Request, Purchase Orders and other implementing documents and make the necessary corrections as needed regarding the project numbers, account number or other information and billing disputes.
- Verify calculations of the amounts claimed for payment and submit to the Senior Management for authorization to proceed with the payment process.
- Scan of financial documents and submit to SO for tax payment.
- Cash payments and advance clearances.
- Receiving and expending funds and maintaining accurate records of the same, with receipts.
- Maintain and update hard copy files of documents and maintain an accessible filing system for use by the office staff.
- Translation of receipts and any other finance related document.
- Prepare vouchers as requested.
- Perform office cash boxes related activities and cash transactions in multiple currencies.
- To enter all office cash transaction in the office cash boxes.
- Cash counts and computed with Bank Statement.
- Cash withdrawals from the bank.
- Copy all financial documents.
- Written correspondence as necessary.
- Public relations on finance issue.
- Maintain complete files for all pending and processed payments for audit.
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor in Economics, BBA in financial management or secondary education with specialized certification in Finance and at least 2 years’ relevant progressive experience.
- Previous work experience with specified registered organization in the same or similar functional area, preferably with UN or INGOs.
- Good in English, both written and verbal.
- Good written and spoken Dari. Good spoken English.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Creativity and willingness to try new things.
- A positive and collaborative attitude and willingness to work in a team.
- A willingness to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Education title: Bachelor in Economics, BBA in financial management or secondary education with specialized certification in Finance
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected