UN Children's Fund, Darien, Panama
General Service (GS) Staff are recruited locally. Candidates must be in possession of an existing work permit or resident/citizen of Panama.
UNICEF is a knowledge leader for children´s rights and wellbeing and a growing body of evidence reveals that, whatever their cultural and geographic contexts, many children now use ICTs as part of their everyday lives. ICTs can be used to gather real time information in development and humanitarian settings, to increase engagement of children and other stakeholders and to collect information to better shape and measure the impact of policies. UNICEF´s mandate cuts across many aspects of the SDGs, and further work is required in areas of cybersecurity, child online protection and information systems supporting child protection initiatives. ICTD must therefore increasingly partner with appropriate policy departments, internally and externally, in addition to supporting the digital transformation of the organization itself. In the process of developing the 2018-2021 UNICEF Strategic Plan, special emphasis has therefore been put on how technology can lead to improvements in service delivery as well as how technology and innovations can serve to reach the most marginalized and hardest-to-reach children.
For every child, a champion
Under the supervision of the Operations Officer, the Finance Associate will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process delivery and design.
How can you make a difference?
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative Finance Associate to support UNICEF Panamain the areas described below, seasoned professionals are encouraged to apply!
- Advise and assist on all aspects related to preparation of reports, compilation of data and answering queries on pledges recorded, funds received, adjustments made to ensure financial compliance, accuracy and completeness of data for its inclusion into statement of accounts and adjustment of budgets. Advise units of discrepancies and assist to resolve differences in their records.
- Maintains financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports.
- Selects and enters data from a wide variety of documents, verifying and ensuring accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant data.
- Prepares recurring reports as schedules and special reports, as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
- Close year-end account and assist in the preparation of year-end reports related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, prepayment, deposits, NEP and leave balances, etc.
- Advises and assists international staff, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, and calculates and authorizes payments due for claims and services.
- Initiates correspondence to verify data, answers queries and obtains additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts. This includes prepares recurring reports and bank reconciliation.
- Prepares detailed cost estimates, and participates in budget analysis and projects, as required.
- Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have...
- Completion of secondary education is required with professional/university level courses in Accounting and Finance/Business administration considered as an asset.
- Work Experience:
- A minimum of six years of clerical experience in the area of finance and accounting is required.
- Language Proficiency
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Portuguese) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF´s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Applying technical expertise [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Planning and organizing[II]
View our competency framework at
Staff members in the National Officer and General Service categories are recruited locally and are paid a salary based on a local salary scale which is reviewed periodically.
The UN Salary scale in Panama can be found at http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/panama.htm
The sites of the International Civil Service Commission, United Nations Common System and the United Nations Secretariat provide more information
Benefits and Entitlements
Employees' benefit from family-friendly, work-life, and diversity policiesand UNICEF are committed to maintaining a balanced gender and geographical representation. Other Benefits and entitlements include:
- Annual leave
- Dependency allowance
- Medical and dental insurance
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Paid sick leave
- Family leave
- Maternity / Paternity adoption leave
- Special leave
Please note that some benefits are paid depending on the duty station and typeof assignment.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.