Danish Refugee Council, Erbil, Iraq
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
This position is based in Erbil
About the job
The Finance Manager will lead the country finance team in ensuring the quality and efficient delivery of financial services and support to the Programme teams according to DRC and back-donor policies, systems and standards on financial management. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
1. Financial Accounting, Management and Reporting
· Maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, DRC’s Operations Handbook and donor requirements.
· Ensure that proper financial procedures are adhered to and maintained at the Country Office, in collaboration with Budget Holders and in compliance with DRC rules and regulations.
· In collaboration with the Head of Support Services, work with and support Budget Holders in budget preparations, realignments, monitoring and budget follow ups.
· Develop financial analysis tools to assist budget holders in the management and monitoring of budgets and identifies significant variances in spending.
· Ensure day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash/bank reconciliation, monthly cashbooks closing, advances’ reconciliation, timely submission of accounts to HQ finance desk.
· Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures from the Country Office are made in a timely.
· Gather information from the relevant Area Offices to consolidate budgets for project proposals according to projects’ needs and donor constraints; Propose sufficient programme and support budgets including mission’s investment plans in close collaboration with the Head of Support Services.
· Ensure donor reports are consolidated, cross-checked with respective stakeholders and produced in time.
· Ensure a controlled and smooth cash flow management process for Iraq Country Programme and ensure all Area Offices have sufficient cashflow for operations.
· Oversee the management of bank accounts in Erbil, as well as oversee Cash management and safe(s).
· Maintenance of the Country Master Budget on a monthly basis and highlighting any foreseen gaps to the Head of Support Services for the gap management - also responsible for dissemination of the same to the respective Area Offices.
· Ensure efficient conduct of statutory audit and donor fund audits in collaboration with programme development team and risk and compliance coordinator from country office and finance teams from the field offices.
· Be one of the key persons in country for the DRC Dynamics (ERP) system management and smooth implementation.
· Works closely with the Head of Support Services to implement, improve and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures within the Country Office
· Update the Job descriptions of finance department staff when required
· Provide technical support to the Area offices-based finance staff as well as providing leadership to the finance staff in the Country Office
· Proactively identify and act upon capacity Building needs of Finance staff based in the Country Office, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that finance staff capacity is continuously developing.
· Conduct on-the-job training for Budget Holders, guiding them through Budgeting, donor compliance and compliance to DRC handbook
· Plan field monitoring visits by the Country Office Finance staff to Area and Field office for field teams’ support
2. Additional Tasks
· Ensure an ongoing, accurate both physical & digital data filing system for all Finance vouchers in the Country Office relevant documentation in the program finance office
· Be one of the Super users for the DRC Dynamics (ERP) System and responsible for training other finance staff in the Country Office as well as in the Area offices
· On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisor(s) in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a minimum of 6 years of working experience with an international NGO, UN Agencies, and at least 3 years in Financial Management capacity. Moreover, we also expect the following:
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting (or related degree)
· Certified Accountant Qualification coupled with 8 years’ relevant experience will be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree
· Excellent communication skills
· Proficient in skills (MS-Excel, MS-Word, Outlook, etc.)
· Experience working with Automated accounting and Finance Software
· Able to work with tight deadlines and under minimum supervision
· Excellent financial and analytical skills
· Fluent in English
· Kurdish (Desirable)
· Arabic (Desirable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating:You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead:You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating:You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity:You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 Months
Employment Band: Management F Level 1
Designation of Duty Station: Non-family Duty Station
Start date: 01 June 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 29 April 2019
Before applying, please ensure you have a valid passport.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Due to the Urgency to fill this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and DRC reserves the right to conduct the interviews before the deadline.