Finance Specialist (Expat Position)
DRC , Erbil, Iraq
Finance Specialist (Expat Position)
[Erbil – with travel to field offices]
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
As a Finance Specialist you will be reporting directly to Finance Manager – Country Office, and in coordination and cooperation with the finance staff is responsible for keeping finances and accounting functions in order to meet legislative requirements of the Host Country, and DRC Hand book as well as donors requirements to support finance Manager in implementing Financial procedures in a smooth and complaint manner.
• Financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders, and payment requests to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and donor’s requirements.
• Provide finance verification of purchase and payment request up to his/her authorization limit.
• Review partner procurement and program transactions, contracts and other documents for compliance requirements, including anti-fraud and diversion, and ensure these requirements are met
• Review reconciliation for Inter-co accounts, Bank/Cash, Payroll control and prepayments.
• Supervise cash and bank management, daily track of balances and timely preparation of reconciliations.
• Work with and provide Support to finance staff in preparing month-end closing.
• Oversee finance department employees and support with financial assistance and accountants.
• Ensure DRC’s financial procedures are implemented and in compliance with donor regulations.
Accountancy and Budget:
• Closely monitor of level of expenditure and allocation of expenses to existing projects, providing monthly Budget versus Actual reports to be discussed with Country Finance Manager & Relevant Program Managers
• Support on the elaboration of budget for new proposals, ensuring that budgeting tools are correctly used and ensuring support costs are properly budgeted.
• Assist in preparing budgets for new projects, as well as amending / revising budgets of projects.
• Work closely with program team during preparing project forecast and make sure the allocation of staff/other expenses are accurate.
• Prepare quarterly/yearly financial reports to donors and review financial data.
• Work closely with Finance Manager to ensure that thorough and effective budgetary control is undertaken in Country office.
Compliance Control and Support:
• Being the focal point for the conduct of external audits. He/She thus ensures that partners are informed in a timely manner; coordinates the preparation, verification and follow-up of the external audit.
• Facilitate audits in coordination and field offices, working with finance staff in field offices to train them on audits.
• Carries out compliance checks on partners' supporting documents before the validation of reports
• Responsible to update audit tracker
• Perform timely and accurate financial review of the monthly payroll and coordinate with HR to improve the process as needed.
• Coordinate with the HR department regarding any issues related to monthly payroll processing, ensure discrepancies are Identified and addressed with corrective action in a timely manner.
• Ensure and manage a proper filing system, both hard and soft copies, and the timely scanning of all documents.
• Provide training and capacity building to finance and program staff on accounting procedures and requirements.
• Provide advice, training and consultation on compliance with DRC policies and procedures as well as donor compliance requirements.
• In close cooperation with the Country Finance Manager, reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines set out in the finance chapters of DRC’s Operation Handbook, the country’s laws, and donor requirements.
• Facilitate external and / or internal audits as needed.
Reporting to:Country Finance Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
• At least 4 years of International experience in a progressively relevant role, including accounting, internal/external audit,
• Proven experience in budgeting and financial reporting requirements.
• Strong knowledge of accounting practices, financial reporting standards, financial management processes and procedures.
• Experience working for a leading INGO, with in depth knowledge of donor requirements, especially SIDA, PMWRA, BPRM,UNHCR and UNICEF
• Experience with financial and grant management systems.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in a team, ability to share information fluidly to support colleagues in finance related matters, even teams in remote locations / offices.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking ability.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels.
• Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results.
• Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising.
• Experience with Microsoft Dynamics (highly preferable).
• Flexible approach to manage and prioritize a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
• Confident & proficient in the use of MS Office, and advanced Excel proficiency.
• Higher Education in Finance & Accounting or related fields
• A postgraduate degree or advanced professional qualification in Finance (Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance, Certificate in Business Accounting, etc.) (preferable)
• English (Fluent)
• Arabic/Kurdish (is a plus)
• Country Finance Manager
• Government Department
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract Duration: One Year
Designation of Duty Station: Erbil – with travel to field offices