Médecins du Monde, Kara, Togo
The humanitarian aid organization Ärzte der Welt e. V. is the German division of the international network Médecins du Monde/Doctors of the World (MdM). The 15 national members of the network implement domestic and international health care projects, currently almost 388 projects in 80 countries around the world. MdM provides emergency medical aid in disaster and crisis situations, supports access to health care and, if possible, assists with reconstruction measures. The network is also active in risk reduction and preparedness as well as long-term development co-operations in neglected regions around the world that receive little public attention. MdM ensures that its health services are provided equally to the most vulnerable citizens, refugees, internally displaced people and host communities, regardless of their ethnic, social, religious or political background.
Since 2012, MdM has been working in Togo in the field of obstetric care to improve the care of pregnant women, mothers and their newborns in rural areas. MdM particularly supported the training (initial or in-service) of teachers in midwifery schools in Togo. In addition, MdM supported young women graduates during their first year of practice in clinics. As part of the development of its activities in Togo, MdM is looking for an experienced General Coordinator for the technical and administrative management of the programmes to follow.
The current programme is part of a GIZ intervention in Kara, Togo and is supported financially by GIZ. It is designed on improving practical training conditions for students from the Midwife schools in the region of Kara, by supporting Health Facilities’ staff and relevant supervision teachers from Midwife schools.
- Represent MdM in the country dealings with local authorities, partners, local and international organisations, GIZ
- Manage strategic development programmes, project activity review, planning and implementation of programmes
- Develop and implement appropriate monitoring tools with regard to objectives, results and indicators as to be established in the logical framework, work plan and other documents
- Coordinate and supervise the activities implemented
- Ensure correct utilisation of MdM and Donor procurement guidelines as well as MdM internal guidelines on HR procedures, finance (budget control, financial forecast) and administration (Volume: < 500.000 EUR)
- Develop the definition/revision of the MdM strategy in Togo, draw up scenarios and proposals, and support the budget creation/revision for future/new projects in collaboration with desk
- Ensure proper and regular reporting according to donor and MdM standard and report on the progress of the programme's activities to MdM Germany
- Ensure compliance with internal rules and the obligations to which MdM is committed
- Provide good working conditions for all team members and create a “team spirit” among the staff
Hierarchical & Functional links
- The General Coordinator reports to the desk of MdM Germany. S/he manages directly the (project) team in Togo. The team consists of a maximum of 5 staff members.
Your professional Profile
- Master degree in Development/Humanitarian studies, Public Health, or equivalent, strong professional skills in SRH (Midwifery programmes)
- Several years working experience with an international NGO working in development contexts
- Minimum of 3 years working expierence in managing projects within the health sector
- Strong project management skills and expierence including project planing, proposal development and report writing
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the project cycle management
- Expierence in working with German donors (BMZ, GIZ) a strong asset
- At least two years expierence at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team (up to 5 staff members)
- An understanding of logistics and good experience in budget management
- Expierence of security management at the field site level
- Fluency in French and English (written and verbaly) essential precondition with German being a strong asset
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
- Driver’s licence
Your personal profile
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day situations,
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities,
- Strong communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively motivate people and to diplomatically manage the relationship with local partners and different authorities
- You are comitted to MdM’s values.
Conditions of employment
- Starting date: 1. July 2019
- Length of the contract: 11 months (31st May 2020) with the possiblity of extention
- Duty station: Kara (Lomé), Togo
- Salary: according to qualification and experience and MdM Germany’s terms and conditions
- housing provided, single posting