Grants Officer, Safe Migration in Central Asia (SMICA) - Almaty, Kazakhstan
Winrock , Almati, Kazakhstan
The Grants Officer will oversee the subaward and grants component of the Safe Migration in Central Asia project. The Safe Migration in Central Asia project is a 5-year USAID-funded project implemented in Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan by Winrock International. The project uses evidence-based practices and cross-border connections to strengthen the mutual accountability and effectiveness of governments, NGOs, and the private sector in their efforts to prevent trafficking-in-persons, protect survivors and promote safe migration.
The Grants Officer will be responsible for ensuring the effective planning, implementation and monitoring of grants and subawards under the project. He/She will be responsible for leading the process for soliciting and evaluating proposals, conduct pre-award due diligence, support review of financial reports from grantees, and strengthen the capacity of grantees to comply with award terms and conditions.
- Support COP and Country Coordinators in developing terms of reference for grant opportunities
- Publicize grant opportunities, and support the proposal review process
- Review and organize grants applications, proposals, and responses to solicitations, and communicate with applicants on their applications as directed by the Grants Officer
- Lead and facilitate the formation and activities of grants review panels consisting of multi-disciplinary teams with relevant expertise and expertise
- Conduct pre-award assessments, coordinate review and document findings to inform the final selection decisions for grantees and sub-contractors
- Work with selected partners, project staff, and the Home Office to develop, as needed, capacity development plans to address any issues identified as part of the pre-award assessment
- Draft sub-agreements and liaise with the partner on signing
- Coordinate preparation of all necessary documents for grants, subawards and subcontracts for review and approval by the Home Office and the donor
- Coordinate with relevant Home Office Management team, contracts team, and program staff to develop and negotiate contractual documents related to grants. Organize and facilitate portions of post-award orientations for subrecipients
- Review and validate partner reports, maintain the subaward tracker of deliverables and finances, flag arising issues for resolution
- Coordinate with program and finance staff on financial and performance reporting and supporting documentation as per Winrock and donor requirements
- Ensure timely internal review and clearance of all financial documentation and reporting associated with grants.
- Ensure timely and accurate payments are made to partners throughout life of the sub-grants. As needed support development of grant and sub-award modifications
- Visit grantees’ offices and project activities as necessary to assess compliance and ensure correct systems and filing are present
- Provide guidance and advice to grantees and program staff on compliance issues and questions
- Vet all issues outside of standard policies and procedures with Home Office.
- Maintain high ethical standards of integrity; respect confidentiality and represent Winrock International at all times
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related field
- A minimum of three years’ experience with grants management under USAID or other international donors
- Sound knowledge of international donor financial and accounting regulations and procedures
- Thorough understanding of national regulations on grants by international organizations in target countries
- Experience facilitating external sub-award audits and ensuring compliance with findings and recommendations. Strong workflow management skills; flexibility; good interpersonal and organizational skills for coordinating a variety of tasks simultaneously; attention to detail; team player
Fluency in English and Russian required, knowledge of at least one Central Asia language strongly preferred.
Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. EOE/AA