HCMC Technical Lead
DAI , Da Nang, Vietnam
SCOPE OF WORK
HCMC Technical Lead
USAID Vietnam Urban Energy Security
Position: HCMC Technical Lead
Level of Effort (loe): Full-time position
Period of Performance: From October 01, 2020 to September 30, 2023
Base of Operations: HCMC, Vietnam
As Vietnam experiences steep increases in energy demand and rising air pollution challenges, there is growing recognition that cleaner, more reliable sources of energy are needed and greater capital investment is necessary. The Vietnam Urban Energy Security Project works closely with GVN at multiple levels to improve enabling frameworks, mobilize investment, and increase the adoption of innovative solutions for advanced, distributed energy.
The specific objectives of this activity are to assist Vietnamese cities to:
Improve enabling policies, regulations, and city-level plans/programs for the deployment of resilient, distributed energy services;
Mobilize public and private sector investment for the deployment of advanced, distributed energy systems;
Increase adoption of innovative technologies, practices, business and financing models for advanced, distributed urban energy solutions.
In HCMC, the project is specifically interested in promoting rooftop solar adoption, both through Commercial & Industrial users, as well as at the household level, and is looking at the feasibility of waste-to-energy activities, energy efficiency in public lighting, and electric vehicle charging infrastructure. In each of the areas, the project will identify areas of technical assistance, investment support, and innovation promotion to achieve overall project objectives.
The HCMC Technical Lead will provide technical and coordination support for the Project’s activities in HCMC. This will include providing support to the technical team in implementing activities in renewable energy (such as rooftop solar and waste to energy), industrial and commercial energy efficiency, and energy finance; coordinating and liaising with DOIT and other GVN counterparts on behalf of the Project; and providing general coordination support to all project activities based in HCMC. The HCMC Technical Lead will work with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and the Technical Specialists, based in Hanoi, to contribute to advanced, distributed energy investment and promotion. The HCMC Technical Lead will also work with other project staffs as required to ensure successful implementation across all activities, including monitoring, evaluation, and learning; implementation of the Activity Fund; project reporting; and other activities identified throughout the life of the project.
- Support relationship between the Project and DOIT and GVN counterparts in HCMC including participation in meetings, drafting emails and other communications on request and responding to advisory requests and support needs from DOIT on ad hoc basis
- Support the project approval process and the yearly work planning process.
- Support technical activities as identified and developed in the yearly workplans, including, but not limited to: (i) data collection at the city level or specific sites, (ii) participation in and/or leading field trips, meetings, workshop, (iii) arranging and participating in the technical activities such as energy audits, site visits, financial analyses, feasibility studies, and/or consultation meetings with authorities and stakeholders in HCMC, (iv) providing inputs for technical reports conducted by project technical team, and others as identified by DCOP.
- Contribute to overall Project operations and activities as required such as consultant recruitment and procurement review processes, communications campaigns, budgeting exercises, and monitoring, evaluation and learning activities; participation in team meetings and internal trainings
- Work with and oversee technical experts and outside contractors in the fulfillment of their scopes of work in the areas of energy efficiency, renewable energy and clean energy finance.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party
The HCMC Technical Lead is based in HCMC will report to the Deputy Chief of Party.
• At least 7 years of energy experience with experience in distributed energy efficiency and/or renewable energy activity management including working with industries and commercial entities
• Knowledge of clean energy finance and investment preferred
• Experience in USAID and/or donor-funded energy or climate change projects in Vietnam or regionally a plus
· Experiences in working with GOV stakeholders such as: MOIT, DOIT, EVN
• University degree in finance, power/energy engineering, or relevant science-based subject, or related subject.
• An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
• An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
• Must be comfortable working with colleagues remotely in multiple cities
• Fluency in Vietnamese
• Excellent writing, speaking, and reading skills in English; demonstrated report writing skills in English is required.