Head of Asia Region
British Red Cross, London, United Kingdom
This is an exciting post for a diplomatic senior leader to lead the emergency response and humanitarian foot print of the British Red Cross in Asia. The role involves working in partnership with other Movement actors to deliver quality services and support to people who are vulnerable to disasters.
This role can be based either in London at The British Red Cross Head Office or in Kuala Lumpur with a competitive benefits package.
Using your considerable experience of humanitarian and development assistance in Asia, you will lead a team of international and local staff, based in the region and in the UK, to deliver the British Red Cross's strategy for the region, including in Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, DPRK, Afghanistan and others. You will be helping to grow our work on Disaster Management, Cash and Community Engagement and Accountability.
You will support the country teams in developing our current partnerships with Red Cross and Red Crescent national societies in the region, seeking to strengthen their capacities to respond to emergencies and to build the resilience of vulnerable communities.
Reporting to the director of programmes and partnerships, you will work closely with the other heads of region and the head of global emergencies, ensuring consistent approaches to our engagement with RCM partners and other actors across the regions. You will also work closely with the Head of the Emergency, Surge and Technical Advisory to ensure good practice and effectiveness in all British Red Cross supported activities.
Whilst ideally you will be familiar with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, for this leadership role, key requirements include:
- Considerable experience of working in the humanitarian and international development sector at a strategic level, including overseas experience in both emergency response and long term programmatic roles.
- Significant experience of developing strategic partnerships in developing countries.
- Leading and developing teams, including management of multi-cultural and geographically dispersed teams.
- Engagement with institutional and private donors at a senior level* Organisational representation at a strategic level.
- Strong understanding of vulnerability issues and humanitarian trends within Asia.
- Strong evidence of diplomacy, networking and influencing key actors
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, these include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Up to 6% contributory pension
- Childcare vouchers