Head of Base - Borno State – Nigeria
INTERSOS , Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base - Borno State
Duty station: Maiduguri with frequent missions to the field-bases in Borno State and the coordination office in Abuja
Starting date: 01/03/2021
Contract duration: 12 Months (4 months with probation contract)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: About 6 national staff (head of field sub-offices)
Dependents: Non-family Duty Station /non-accompanied
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.7 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 24 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno. In areas recently retaken by the Government vulnerable host populations are in critical need of humanitarian interventions. In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, food security, Camp Coordination and Camp Management and protection services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible LGA of Maiduguri, Magumeri, Ngala, Bama, Banki, Damasak, Monguno and Dikwa.
General purpose of the position
The Head of base will oversee the Operations, Security and Logistics units in Borno state in collaboration with Coordinators, ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, ensuring strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy. S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations, programs, budgets and partnerships, under the supervision of the Head of Mission.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Program and operations:
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field.
- Ensure a constant analysis of humanitarian context in his/her area of responsibility
- Oversee the logistics, procurement, administration and HR operations in Borno State, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes
- Manage accountability of Operations actions in Maiduguri base and all the bases in Borno State
- Support project field staff in Borno State in the optimal and efficient implementation of the projects.
- Ensure coordination, together with the Programme Coordinator, between the PMs in the implementation of ongoing projects.
- Ensure overall consistency in the implementation of programs in every intervention sites.
- Guarantee a good synergy between technical and support teams at field level and between the various implementation locations.
- Ensure implementation of recommendations from internal audits, departmental field visits and field assessments.
- Play a facilitator role between field offices/operation and Coordination office.
- Keep the Coordination informed of program progresses, obstacles and delivery.
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments.
- Coordinate reporting activities at field level in accordance with the requirements of donors and the headquarter.
- Coordinate the capitalization of information/operation to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities.
- Supervise and manage the team members under his/her direct responsibility (head of field-offices), ensuring their coaching and regular evaluations.
- Ensure a good level of communication between the team of the different projects in Borno State.
- Facilitate and promote the smooth flow of information.
- Ensure that field teams make clear requests for support to coordination teams to maximize operational effectiveness and program effectiveness and quality.
- Support the Head of Mission in the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on abuse of power.
- Coordinate and oversee all INTERSOS partnerships in Borno State.
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities.
- If necessary, implement at local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined for the mission.
- Maintain an effective network with stakeholders at local level about security aspects, collect and analyze information to establish risk and context analysis and do the follow up of the teams.
- Support the Head of Mission in the production of internal security regulations and ensure their application, in collaboration with the Security Coordinator
- Manage, on a daily basis, any security incident or deterioration of the security environment by reporting to the Head of Mission Coordination with support functions
- Manage financial and logistics activities by monitoring and analyzing indicators.
- Ensure compliance with financial, logistic and HR procedures within the various Borno State Offices
- Anticipate the financial, logistic and HR needs at Borno State level and communicate these needs to the
- Coordination using appropriate tools and in compliance with the planned deadlines.
- Ensure the performance of the supply chain and logistic aspects.
- Ensure the implementation of the HR policy and the management of human resources according to established procedures.
Required profile and experience
- Bachelor Degree in Economics, Political Sciences, Psychology or similar domain
Relevant working experience in management positions of at least 3 years and previous Humanitarian experience, especially in western Africa.
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and flexibility,
- Ability to wor
- k under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Fluent knowledge of English
- Ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Flexibility and fast decision-maker
- Acceptance of humanitarian principles
- Acceptance of INTERSOS PSEA and CP Policies