Head of Programe
DRC , Hiran, Somalia
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme to provide leadership and oversight of Danish Refugee Council’s programming across Somalia and support the Country Director (CD) in donor engagement, liaison and fundraising.
The DRC/DDG Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region. DRC/DDG is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hirran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region.
The Head of Programme will contribute to strategic planning and lead in management of all technical experts and the program leads in each region within the Somalia programme. S/He leads the development of new programming strategies and program reporting, and oversee and coordinate programmatic issues related to quality and delivery with a focus on program sector integration and collaboration.
The Head of Programme is responsible for high quality and accountable programme design and delivery. S/He retains a high degree of autonomy, within a clearly defined regional strategic framework, and has a close working relationship with the DDG HoP, the Head of support services (HoSS), and the Country Safety Coordinator, as part of the executive management team.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
As a Senior Management Team (SMT) member, responsible for overall management of the programmes department.
- As Head of Programmes, provides leadership in the design, delivery and quality of DRC Somalia programme.
- Has the responsibility for managing and developing staff under her/his supervision and ensuring that the DRC values are incorporated in the leadership and upheld.
- Serves as member of the SMT, including supporting the Country Director (CD) to lead the SMT toward the achievement of common goals.
- Works closely with the Head of Programme for DDG to ensure complementarity of action and enhance synergies between the program sectors as appropriate.
- Supports the development of in-country expertise in each sector as well as supporting the agenda for capacity building of national staff.
- Responsible for ensuring that the program is donor compliant and respects DRC accountability principles.
- Support SMT in roll out of DRC Dynamics.
Fundraising and New programme development:
Lead with development of new Programmes and activities as required to respond to critical needs or for strategic development of programme.
- Contribute in the development of the DRC Somalia fundraising strategy for Somalia.
- Support fundraising efforts from traditional and new donors and especially World Bank, European Union, OFDA/FFP and UN agencies and other sources.
- Leads new program development and Supports opening of new strategic locations for program expansion.
- Supports the CD in fundraising through the Consortia approach.
To contribute to the Somalia programme strategy, within DRC’s overall country and regional and global strategic frameworks. Tasks include:
- Ensures all staff understand the regional and global frameworks.
- In collaboration with RO, manages a consultative process for local strategy development, plays a leading role in annual programme portfolio analyses.
- In collaboration with the CD and DCD, support fundraising efforts and donor contract management.
- Responsible for the coordination of quarterly meetings, project kick off and closure meetings, and the Annual Review meetings
- Facilitates synergy between DRC and DDG program activities
- Promotes development of sectoral strategies that contribute to programme strategy.
To be responsible for delivering a high quality and accountable programme in Somalia. Tasks include:
- Ensuring the local quality assurance systems are developed and followed,
- Providing staff with direction and input and prioritize technical expertise according to programme needs,
- Ensuring timely implementation and reporting,
- Ensuring all Programmes have work plans which are in line with strategic priorities.
- Consulting with AMs and advise them on timely implementation of programs.
- Ensuring adequate program Technical support is provided to Area Managers on real time.
Quality and Accountability:
To be responsible for achieving programme compliance with the organizational quality and accountability commitments. Tasks include:
- With RO and Country programme, ensure that Programme Handbook is presented to all staff
- lead process of developing and updating local HAF and Quality Management System (QMS)
- enabling programme reach compliance with HAF/CHS and follow QMS,
- ensure complaints handling mechanisms are in place for all Programmes,
- promote accountability concepts and practices amongst humanitarian community
- supervise and prioritize M&E and learning section activities to ensure effective quality monitoring and evaluation for DRC Somalia Programmes
- Support program teams in ensuring learning across the programs and replication of best practices.
- support to ensure that all programs are complying with standards and procedures in terms of HR and Administration; Safety; logistics, procurement and financial accountability
*Representation Coordination and Stakeholder management.**
To ensure that DRC maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, the humanitarian community and donors. Tasks include:
- With consultation with the CD, represent DRC at relevant and senior forums/ meetings such as donor meetings, fundraising forums, field donor meetings, consortium meetings etc.
- Ensuring the senior staff under your supervision are appropriately representing DRC at relevant forums/ meetings,
- Maintaining agreed profile of DRC at country/ programme level,
- Conducting regular stakeholder analyses to ensure that DRC has good understanding of dynamics/ relationships in Somalia,
- Representing DRC Somalia in strategic forums on behalf of the CD and also carry out any other duties is a need arises as requested by the CD.
- Engaging in coordination processes amongst key stakeholders particularly national and regional authorities and donors for Somalia
- Taking lead with specific donors based on gaps identified in the program
Advocacy and Communication
Work in collaboration with DCD on developing advocacy and policy key messages across programmatic platforms. Tasks include:
- With Country programme and RO, preparing a programme advocacy and communication strategy,
- Guiding staff to advocate clearly, appropriately and strategically. Support the CD in the development and review of communication materials, including brochures, case studies as well as press releases.
Ensure that staff are continuously developing their ability to fulfill their job descriptions as well as the organizational requirements. Tasks include:
- with Country programme SMT and RO, preparing a capacity building strategy and action plan
- securing resources to enable capacity building
- implementing a variety of capacity building techniques
- ensure EPRP training is carried out in all program locations and updated annually
- Review relevancy of requested training among the program staff.
The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive but other tasks maybe required to adapt to programmatic needs.
To be successful in this role we expect you to possess the following:
- A post-graduate degree in relevant social discipline such as international relations, business administration, management, law/human rights, social sciences or related field;
- Demonstrated experience of successfully managing program implementation in a large country operation.
- Minimum 7 years professional work experience in humanitarian/ recovery/development work including in a displacement setting
- Technical expertise and experience in livelihoods, conflict management, WASH, protection, durable solutions, infrastructural programming in post conflict setting is an advantage
- Proven analytical and strategic planning skills;
- Excellent writing skills and ability to negotiate effectively between different stakeholders, and to represent DRC at high level forums;
- Extensive experience in representation and networking, in particular with Government authorities, EU, humanitarian and development actors;
- Demonstrated project, program and human resource management experience, including working with local partners;
- Strong understanding of MEAL, including in complex programmes;
- Good communicator and proven diplomacy with all types of stakeholders
- Proven commitment to accountable practices and knowledgeable of quality assurance systems
- Hands on experience in managing staff in insecure and remote locations with strong human resource management skills in general.
- Experience of managing budgets and multiple donor contracts
- Demonstrated experience in donor contacting, fundraising and networking
- Fluent and articulate in English (speaking, writing, reading) is essential
- A good understanding and experience of context in Somalia is an added advantage
- Arabic and/or Somali languages beneficial