Head of Strategy
Norwegian Refugee Council, Oslo, Norway
NRC is an independent humanitarian organisation, with Head Office in Oslo, Norway and working in crises across over 30 countries. NRC has a global workforce of more than 7,000 directly employed staff, including approximately 450 international staff, approximately 300 Head Office staff in Norway, and around 6,500 nationally employed staff in over 30 countries.
The HR directorate is located in Head Office, reporting to the Deputy Secretary General/Organisational Development department. The Global HR team provides specialist expertise, capacity building, and global HR project change management, working within a matrix structure and providing support to HR professionals located in other countries (regional offices, country operations, representative offices).
Role and responsibilities
The Head of Unit Strategy, Information and Support Unit (SIS) is responsible, on behalf of the Global HR Director, in taking a lead role in strategy development and delivery, and in the operational management of strategic processes, working collaboratively with key stakeholders within FO and the Global HR community. This involves leading change management processes, developing and implementing Global HR policies and coordination of support to the Regional Offices.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Work with the Global HR Director and Global HRMT to contribute to developing the global strategy and action plan related to people strategy
Responsible for developing the overall strategy and action plan for HR Global in line with overall NRC strategic direction, including change management and monitoring of execution
Drive strategic development and continuously improve existing and new projects, HR policies and support systems.
Leadership and line management of support functions (staff care, administration and system support) and budget responsibility for SIS
Representing HR Global, on behalf of Global HR Director, in global initiatives, key discussions and negotiations.
Develop, manage and ensure compliance with NRC’s overall strategies, policies and guidelines for the different projects within HR Global.
Provide strategic advice to senior management and build internal and external networks.
Support the HR Director, Regional management and HR Advisers in personnel cases and seek external legal advice when needed.
- Responsible for revising the HR Handbooks and the Terms of Employment, and guide HR Advisers in regard to implementation and use.
- Global, strategic focal point for NRC’s insurance package and international pension plan as well as other benefits when required.
- Provide relevant information, best practice and trainings to HR Advisers.
- Acting HR Director when required
- Formal education - preferably master level- in HR related areas (eg occupational psychology / social anthropology).
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience and professional knowledge in HR
- Professional experience within the humanitarian field work and preferably line management
- Understanding of - and a keen interest in - organisational development and cultural change
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of Norwegian labour laws and experience in dealing with personnel cases
- Advanced understanding of NRC’s operational contexts
- Experience of managing successful change projects
- Strong ability to collaborate and communicate
- Planning and delivering results
- Initiating action and driving change
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- A permanent contract at Head Office, Oslo
- Grade:10 in NRC Grade Structure
- A highly engaged, international job environment in a meaningful context!
- all NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.