HelpAge, Amman, Jordan
Terms of Reference for Health Officer
Job Title: Health Officer
Location: Amman, Jordan
Reporting to: Country Programme Manager
- Based in Amman, Jordan
- Scope for flexible working hours
- Opportunity to work for a leading organization working with and for older people globally
If you're looking to progress your career in a great working environment, please read on. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including 21 days holiday (plus bank holidays), enhanced maternity and adoption pay, and generous employer pension contribution. We also actively support our staff with a variety of flexible working arrangements to help balance work and home life.
HelpAge International's vision is a world where older people fulfil their potential to lead active, dignified, healthy and secure lives. We are the secretariat of the HelpAge global network, bringing together more than 114 affiliates and 200 partners working with older people in over 50 countries.
- At HelpAge International we work hard to achieve our goals together as a team with a clear shared purpose. Everyone who works at HelpAge shares our values and are committed to behaviours that demonstrate and support them.
Our values inform how we work together:
We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality.
We value and recognise the contribution of our staff and network members as we put older people at the centre of everything we do.
We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions
HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. We encourage and facilitate a flexible working environment.
Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International's Purpose
Our vision is a world in which all older people can lead dignified, healthy, and secure lives. Our mission is to promote the wellbeing and inclusion of older men and women, and reduce poverty in later life. The world we want is one where every older woman and man, everywhere, can say: **
a. "I have the income I need."
b. "I enjoy the best possible health and quality of life."
c. "I am safe and secure, free from discrimination and abuse."
d. "My voice is heard."
I. Job Purpose
The Health officer is responsible for the implementation of health activities under the “Leaving No One Behind, Phase II project” in terms of improved knowledge on inclusion for health providers, and working with Ministry of Health and health centers on accessibility and tailoring to older men and women.
The position holder is responsible for ensuring the activities are delivered on time and to the desired standard as outlined in the project plan and timetable.
1. Planning & Implementation of Health activities
- Conduct mapping of health facilities in 4 governorates (Irbid, Mafraq, Amman, Zarqa)
- Design and effectively execute the Health activities such as setting up systems to develop the skills of partner organizations, setting up links with private service providers and government institutions, etc., among others.
- Conduct organizational assessment on accessibility of local public healthcare facilities
- Prepare Detail Implementation Plan (DIP)/work plan for health output in the project.
- Provide technical inputs to conduct a comprehensive research on the overall health situation in Jordan for older men and women and those with disabilities.
- Provide capacity building support to health providers and Ministry of Health
- Develop contingency plans with the M.O.H
- Design and deliver health related age-inclusive materials
- Facilitate health trainings for the older people groups.
- Plan, implement and monitor to distribute essential assistive devices for vulnerable older people in effective and efficient manner
2. Coordination and Communication
- Build good relations with relevant government departments/offices and relevant stakeholders related to the project and HelpAge.
- Coordinate and integrate health initiatives with inclusion and protection activities.
- Conduct workshops and capacity building trainings to OPAs, HelpAge partner’s staffs, MOH and health providers.
- Represent HelpAge International | Jordan and its work on Health in external forums and meetings at different level.
- Coordinate with stakeholders for effective delivery of activities.
- Coordinate national workshops, seminars etc. in relation to supporting the dissemination of project reports, outputs and results.
- Track targets against the achievements and take appropriate actions.
- Report performance against target.
3. Monitoring, Reporting & Documentation
- Monitor the progress of Health activities on regular basis and conduct periodic evaluation according to work plan and budget and report as well as recommend changes to enhance the component’s performance, as appropriate.
- Oversee targets against the deadlines and ensure early detection of potential problems in terms of delivery and activities implementation of HelpAge and partners and report.
- Coordinate with partners and project team ensuring high quality and timely delivery of outcome related to component.
- Develop and feed into appropriate database system and project progress information according to project necessity.
- Responsible for preparing quarterly, monthly, any other required reports to management/Donor related to component.
4. Project Compliance
- Ensure transparency and accountability in project implementation by project team and by partners.
- Coordinate and liaise with stakeholders (Donors, Implementing Partners, Government Agencies, related projects etc.) to build strong relationships.
- Provide regular support and feedback to the management to maintain good relations with project beneficiaries, partners, local governments and other stakeholders.
II. Qualifications/Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in health, management, disaster management, development studies or other relevant field, a master’s degree would be an asset**
- • At least 3 years of experience in an international humanitarian NGO, including at least one year in a similar post (monitoring/evaluation or MEAL);
- • Experience in the implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems;
- • Experience in team management and training/capacity-building;
- • Experience in the implementation of beneficiary complaint and feedback mechanisms preferential
- Technical skills
- At least three years proven and stated experience in working in Health projects
- • Skills in implementation of quantitative and qualitative survey including data collection, training, supervision, sampling, analysis and sharing results (visualisation)**
- • Training facilitation skills**
- • Strong understanding and knowledge of community driven development process
- • Knowledge in NCD management
- • Knowledge in healthcare for older men and women (geriatrics)
- • Experience working with the government sector, specifically Ministry of Health
- • Previous health experience in the NGO sectors
- • Thorough knowledge on Sphere, Core humanitarian standards
- • Proven experience in leading Surveys (mix methodologies) from designing to report writing.
- • Proven experience in local staff capacity building
- • Ability work and produce high quality outputs in an intense & dynamic working environment, with local and international staff having different working styles and different levels of competencies is essential.
- • Ability to perform well under pressure and comply with donors & partnership deadlines is essential.
- • Fluent in Arabic & English
- Experience or stated interest in ageing issues
- Experience in humanitarian response and recovery program
- Demonstrating high level ethical behaviour
- Multi-tasking and stress handling capacity
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- A reliable, polite and professional attitude
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances is required