Human Resources Associate
WFW, Washington, United States
Women for Women International works in some of the most dangerous places to be a woman. We serve women survivors of war in conflict and post-conflict areas around the world in 8 countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Eastern Congo, and Northern Nigeria. Our core belief is that stronger women build stronger nations; and with access to knowledge, resources, and a support network, a woman rebuilds her life and improves her community.
Our model works and we have the data to prove it. In our 26-year history, Women for Women International has reached over half a million women. The women we work with across 3 continents earn just $0.81 a day when we enroll them. At graduation, it’s $2.11, nearly tripled.
Our impact goes beyond income. The number of women who say at least one household member went to sleep hungry in the last four weeks has gone from 18% to 5%. And more women say they speak out against women's abuse: 26% report having publicly spoken in the last 6 months against physically abusing women.
When women have the right tools, they realize the power within themselves to transform their lives, their families, their communities, and finally their entire nations.
The HQ HR team supports 55 employees. Our mission is to provide services, develop and implement HR policies and programs to support employee’s well-being, retention and growth. We nurture a culture that reflects the values of the organization.
The Human Resources Associate (HRA) is responsible for performing various HR and administrative duties for the Headquarters (HQ) HR department under the supervision of the Human Resources Business Partner, HQ (HRBP HQ). The HRA is primarily responsible for serving as the initial point of contact to Women for Women International’s (WfWI) US-based employees in the areas of salary and benefit administration, recruitment, onboarding, staff development & retention and offboarding in alignment with the global and HQ policies and standards.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide timely response and support to all employee’s questions and inquiries as it relates to benefits, employee handbook and policies
- Assists with all benefits administration from enrollment to termination, process updates in HR Information System (HRIS) and on vendor websites
- Liaise with vendors to address and administer insurance claims
- Monitor employee leave balances and policies
Payroll Administration & HR systems
- Prepare US semi-monthly payroll and international hires payroll monthly
- Administer compensation changes in HR systems, and employment change letters to employees, participates to salary surveys as needed
- Process employee terminations – update all HR systems and other off-boarding tasks
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Support with the recruitment process: job ads, using BambooHR Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and other job boards, identify potential candidates through searches on recruitment platforms when needed
- Maintain relationship and communication with applicants
- Assist with employee onboarding – new hire employment documents, employee onboarding schedules, liaise with IT, office facilities, hiring managers as needed
Other HR and Administrative Support
- Co-administer the internship programs
- Assist with HR programs and provide support on global initiatives
- Process the department vendor invoices for payment
- Maintain department filing system (organizational charts, job descriptions, policies), employee records and reports, in compliance with government regulations and audit requirements
- Assist with the HQ and global HR reporting.
Adhere to WfWI’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policies and report concerns and to the organizational values Empowerment, Integrity, Respect, Resilience.
The duties, responsibilities and activities of this job description may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two years full-time Human Resources experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience including internship
- Working knowledge of Bamboo HR or other standard HRIS and ATS systems
- Experience assisting with payroll
- Must demonstrate ability to work well on a culturally diverse and international team
- Must demonstrate ability to be flexible and adaptable - ability to perform in a rapidly changing work environment and through occasional ambiguity and/or conflicting priorities
- Must have client-focused/employee service orientation and take initiative to resolve problems
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
Demonstrated ability to maintain systems, and details-orientation of tasks with accuracy
Computer skills including working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email
- Some experience working with non-profits
- Some familiarity with ADP and/or other payroll administration systems
- Some working knowledge of state and federal employment and benefit laws