Humanitarian Program Coordinator Cordaid, Central African Republic
Cordaid , Bangui, Central African Republic
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is one of the leading CSO’s in the Netherlands, working in fragile contexts on Health, Resilience, Economic opportunities, Humanitarian aid and Security & Justice. Apart from our work abroad we also contribute to new forms of job creation and social innovation in The Netherlands.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 30 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
For the Cordaid Country office in Central African Republic Cordaid is looking for a Humanitarian Program Coordinator
Since 2008, Cordaid CAR is running Humanitarian Aid and Recovery programmes in the country. Its programmes are focused on some of the most conflict-affected regions in the country including the prefectures of Ouham-Pendé, Basse Kotto, Mbomou, Nana-Mambéré and plans to extend this programme to others most affected (by poverty, crises and conflicts) prefectures.
Currently, Cordaid implements a humanitarian project/program funded by several donors, the most important of which is the Dutch ministry of foreign affairs and plays a leading role in coordinating the country-wide emergency response of six Dutch NGO’s.
In Cordaid, we believe in continuum and support the immediate needs of the people affected as well as the longer-term needs, to create sustainable impact and build resilient communities. Within the Humanitarian Aid Unit, we focus our work with local partners and communities on activities and capacity building to enable them to cope (better) with future disasters. Where possible, we link with other expert areas and programmes of our organisation to further sustain the impact of our work.
Our guiding approach is Linking Relief, (Resilient) Recovery and Development (LRRD).
Position and responsibility
The CAR Humanitarian Program Coordinator is responsible for the coordination and management of the humanitarian program while ensuring that interventions are prompt, well planned, have the necessary resources and are accountable both to the donors and the beneficiaries.
He/she will report directly to the Program Director in Bangui and will liaise closely with the designated Program Manager of the Cordaid Humanitarian Unit in The Hague for technical advice and organize support of shelter and wash experts. For the Joint Response Value / Collaborative Impact component, close liaison will be necessary to ensure equal communication with partners in CAR as well as in the Netherlands.
The Humanitarian Program Coordinator will supervise the Field Program Managers based in the implementing areas (Prefecture).
Cordaid Humanitarian Program
- Oversee the donors Humanitarian Response Appeal for CAR (DRA/MoFA, UN HF, United Nations system agencies (UINCEF, PAM, FAO, etc.) in collaboration with Field Program Manager;
- Identify and exchange funding opportunities and share information with CO, GO and others members (consortium, DRA members, etc);
- Provide support for representatives od donors while visiting humanitarian projects;
- Support the implementation of the Cordaid Humanitarian Program in the fields to ensure smooth implementation of the program (headed by the Field Program Managers);
- Oversee spending and program progress against agreed targets and spending plans ;
- Replace the Field Program Managers during their absence at field level;
- Maintain good relations with local partners and ensure results are met within the available timeframe;
- Work closely with Security, Logistics and finance Coordinators, to ensure that the humanitarian program interventions are carried out in accordance with the Cordaid (Country) Strategic Plan and donors guideline;
- Participate actively on behalf of Cordaid in relevant of humanitarian coordination meeting (strategic clusters) at Bangui; share relevant information with Country Officer Management and HQ;
- Strengthen the relationship with local and International Caritas actors in CAR and support joint program implementation, added up with capacity building for quality project implementation ;
- Support the expansion and strengthening of the Humanitarian Aid program within the framework of the Country Strategy (creating synergy with Cordaid programs on Health, Education and Security & Justice where relevant and feasible);
- Prepare, review and submit donor reports in accordance with the reporting schedule of project and rules of donors and Cordaid.
Fundraising, networking and acquisition
- Identify opportunities for funding from the UN system and other international donors/sources;
- Develop project proposals and budget for the humanitarian program in CAR where applicable;
- Identify suitable consortium partners for various upcoming calls, in close coordination with the Country Director and the Program Director and build relations; these should include Caritas International agencies;
- Build solid relations with relevant donors (Humanitarian and Rehabilitation) and write winning proposals for calls, in close coordination & cooperation of Country Office and HQ;
- Represent Cordaid in relevant Caritas, UN, OCHA, and other humanitarian coordination / thematic cluster meetings;
- Support and promote other Cordaid fundraising activities (institutional, private and corporate fundraising).
- Advanced university degree, preferably in an appropriate field such as disaster management, conflict mitigation, development and international affairs, and management studies;
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field, preferably in complex humanitarian situations or emergencies;
- Experience with working in coordination with international and national partner organizations;
- Excellent program management skills, planning, budget and logistics management, organization, interpersonal and communication;
- Excellent French and English language writing and communications skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team;
- Ability to work long hours in stressful environments, insecure, unstable or rigorous;
- Flexibility, ability to easily overcome the pressure, ability to improvise, flexibility and sensitivity to cultural diversity;
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the Cordaid program and the security policy.
Specifics of station
The Humanitarian Program Coordinator will be based in Bangui but will spend part of his/her working time in the target areas (ground), etc to monitor the emergency operations and the implementation of the program. The safety and security situation in CAR remains volatile, but is constantly monitored by Cordaid and appropriate policies are in place. This is a non-accompanied posting.
The contract period is for six months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance.