ICT Senior Assistant (IT Infrastructure - Systems Assistant)
UNOPS , Valencia, Spain
THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE SPANISH OR EUROPEAN UNION CITIZENS OR APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SPAIN ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION
The ICT Senior Assistant (IT Infrastructure - Systems Assistant) will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Information Systems Officer, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC Valencia, Spain, provides specific expertise in the operations of the IT infrastructure supporting the UN SAP Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) under the hybrid cloud computing strategy.
This support includes but is not limited to the following components of the back-end IT infrastructure: storage arrays, backup storage arrays, servers, SAN switches, virtualization, operating system, cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the environment.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC and will report to Information Systems Officer or his/her designate and is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions
- Linux and Virtualization Support
- IT Infrastructure and backup
- Technical Support
- Knowledge Management
- Other duties
- 1. Linux and Virtualization Support:
- Provides support to Linux server infrastructure that support ERP mission critical application.
- Works with the team to maintain virtualization platform infrastructure and provide support to customers.
- 2. IT infrastructure and backup
- Assists in operating IT infrastructure hardware components like: servers, storage, SAN switches, etc that support ERP mission critical application.
- Operates backup software and infrastructure that support ERP mission critical application
- 3. Technical Support
- Contributes to develop scripts for operation process automation based on systems engineering and configuration management frameworks.
- Assists on the deployment of several projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Contributes to solve complex problems related to IT infrastructure.
- Participates in on-call rotation that includes afternoon working hour shifts.
- 4. Knowledge Management
- Continually explores, evaluates and recommends advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
- 5. Other dutie
- Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.**
Impact of results:
The result of work of the ICT Senior Assistant (IT Infrastructure - Systems Assistant) impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- University Degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) is desirable and may substitute for some of the required number of years of experience.Experience:
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment.
- 4 years of experience with Linux technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions
- 4 years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multi-location environments (e.g. VMware, vSphere replication, VMware SRM, etc).
- Experience operating HP IT infrastructure (Superdome servers, 3PAR storage, StoreOnce storage arrays, etc)
Desirable: (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
Experience supporting multi location enterprise grade data center is desirable.
Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is a requirement.
Knowledge of a second UN language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : Staff
- Contract level : G5
- Contract duration : One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability’
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
How to apply