IGNITE Gender Expert, West Africa
ACDI/VOCA, Burkina Faso
Established in 1993, Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit organization that brings people together at the table, on the ground, and across supply chains to co-create economic and social opportunities that change lives. Based in Washington, D.C., Tanager works with partners and ACDI/VOCA family of companies to expand market access and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities that result in reliable supply chains, stable incomes, healthy families, and resilient communities.
IGNITE Gender Expert, West Africa
Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is promptly seeking a Gender Expert for the Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) project. This 5-year project will improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender in agriculture interventions and business practices.
The Gender Expert will lead the design and provision of technical services to support clients and will design, implement, and monitor gender-integrated agriculture activities and business strategies. The Gender Expert will also provide thought leadership on the development of tools and resources that will facilitate the integration of gender into agriculture interventions and institutions’ way of doing business. The position is based in West Africa and activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
- Support IGNITE clients with the development, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of gender-integrated interventions in agriculture
- Support IGNITE clients with analysis of available desk research and field assessments, as appropriate, to identify gender-specific challenges and opportunities for female social and economic empowerment, particularly in household decision-making, nutrition, and women’s engagement
- Co-create the design and implementation of gender activities that employ intergenerational and male engagement approaches, as well as social and behavior change theory, for IGNITE clients
- Advise on and support IGNITE clients’ development, collection, and analysis of indicators for measuring gender gaps and empowerment; support clients to align their accountability mechanisms and systems to deliver on their gender and nutrition commitments
- Support clients to identify and mitigate risks for intended and unintended impacts; support collection of sex- and age-disaggregated data; integrate gender into formative research
- Strengthen IGNITE clients’ capacity to integrate gender into their business practices and policies
- Support identification of local service providers; conduct trainings and other capacity building activities for identified local service providers; accompany local service providers in providing technical support to IGNITE clients
- Serve as IGNITE point of contact on select client engagements, shepherding clients through the phases of an IGNITE engagement and ensuring their needs are addressed at each stage
- Liaise with nutrition technical experts to support integration of nutrition sensitive agriculture considerations into client program design
- Contribute technical input into the pursuit and design of gender-integrated agriculture interventions in Tanager’s future new business opportunities
- Advanced degree in sociology, anthropology, women’s studies, gender studies, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 8 years’ work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa in mainstreaming gender equity into food security, nutrition, or agriculture programs; including a minimum of 5 years’ experience facilitating training on gender mainstreaming in agriculture, designing and leading gender analysis and/or gender audits, and providing gender technical support to government and/or private sector.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proven successful ability to conduct in-depth gender analyses, including leading research teams, facilitating focus groups, and conducting interviews.
- Excellent understanding of global and continental commitment mechanisms for gender and nutrition in agriculture for stakeholders like governments and private sector; ability to design technical assistance that enhances accountability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social and behavior change communication theory and techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and client relationship management skills required.
- Fluency in French and English, written and oral, is required.
- Travel in West Africa is expected 40%.
Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply
Please apply online at https://tanagerintl.org/who/careers/gender_expert_ignite_west_africa/ or email your CV, application form, and motivation letter to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB Monday, February 15, 2021. All documents should be submitted in English. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.