IGNITE Nutrition Expert, West Africa
ACDI/VOCA, Burkina Faso
Established in 1993, Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit organization that brings people together at the table, on the ground, and across supply chains to co-create economic and social opportunities that change lives. Based in Washington, D.C., Tanager works with partners and ACDI/VOCA family of companies to expand market access and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities that result in reliable supply chains, stable incomes, healthy families, and resilient communities.
IGNITE Nutrition Expert, West Africa
Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is promptly seeking a Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture Expert for the Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) project. This 5-year project will improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender in agriculture interventions and business practices. As a component of its work, IGNITE works to support three private-sector poultry companies under the African Poultry Multiplication Initiative (APMI). IGNITE builds these companies’ institutional capacity to integrate gender and women’s empowerment and nutrition into companies’ activities in the poultry value chain via trainings, SBC support, and consultation with company staff.
The Nutrition Expert will lead the design and provision of technical services to IGNITE clients and will support them to design, implement, and monitor nutrition-sensitive agriculture activities and nutrition-sensitive business strategies. The Nutrition Expert will also provide thought leadership on the development of tools and resources that will facilitate the integration of nutrition into agriculture interventions and institutions’ way of doing business. The Nutrition Expert will spend approximately 60% of their time supporting APMI companies, and 40% of their time supporting IGNITE clients, although these percentages are subject to change. The position is based in West Africa.
- Support IGNITE clients with the development, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of nutrition-sensitive interventions in agriculture, especially poultry
- Support IGNITE clients with analysis of available desk research and field assessments, as appropriate, to identify nutrition-sensitive approaches that increase consumption of safe, nutritious food
- Co-create the design and implementation of interventions that increase household production, access to, purchase, and consumption of nutrient-rich foods
- Apply gender best practices to introduce innovative approaches to address barriers to intrahousehold allocation of food and joint decision making over household dietary and care practices, income expenditure, and production decisions
- Advise on and support development, collection, and analysis of indicators for measuring access to, availability of, and consumption of nutrient-rich foods; integrate nutrition into formative research
- Strengthen IGNITE clients’ and APMI companies’ capacity to integrate nutrition into their institutional practices and policies
- Support identification of local service providers; conduct trainings and other capacity building activities for identified local service providers; accompany local service providers in providing technical support to IGNITE clients
- Serve as IGNITE point of contact on select client engagements, shepherding clients through the phases of an IGNITE engagement and ensuring their needs are addressed at each stage
- Liaise with gender experts to support integration of gender considerations into client program design
- Contribute technical input into the pursuit and design of nutrition-sensitive agriculture interventions in Tanager’s future new business opportunities
- Advanced degree in nutrition, public health, agriculture, development studies, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 8 years’ work experience with at least 5 years’ experience facilitating training on nutrition-sensitive agriculture, leading nutrition analysis, and identifying nutrition-sensitive interventions for agriculture programs or organizations; designing and implementing tools and approaches to support institutions in integrating nutrition in their agriculture work.
- Experience in poultry value chains is especially desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proven successful ability to design and conduct training and workshops and lead interviews, focus groups, and other formative research methodologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social and behavior change communication theory and techniques.
- Understanding of gender-integrated agriculture concepts in Africa and ability to integrate a gender lens into nutrition-sensitive approaches.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and client relationship management skills required.
- Fluency in English required, French preferred.
- Travel in Sub-Saharan Africa is expected 40%.
Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply
Please apply online at https://tanagerintl.org/who/careers/nutrition_expert_ignite_west_africa-2/ or email your CV, application form, and motivation letter to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB Monday, February 15, 2021. All documents should be submitted in English. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.