Individual National Consultancy - Writing Service on Long Term Arrangements, Kathmandu, Nepal (Nepal
UN Children's Fund, Karnali, Nepal
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
UNICEF Nepal Country Office works in partnership with national and local governments, civil society, mass media and other development partners to advocate for child rights in Nepal. To pursue this intention, the Office develops a range of communication materials including human interest stories, briefing notes, factsheets, etc. targeted at numerous audiences including government, civil society, business and the media. UNICEF would like to engage the services of writers to provide documentation of UNICEF's work in Nepal including special events, and special assignments to remote areas, in order to produce communication and advocacy materials to be used by UNICEF’s internal and external partners across various platforms. With prior briefing for each assignment, the writers are required to submit communication materials as per the UNICEF Stylebook. The writers should be available at very short notice in case of emergencies such as flood, earthquake, etc. and may be required to work on Saturdays and Sundays, based on the requirements of the assignment.
How can you make a difference?
The overall objective of this long-term arrangement consultancy is to facilitate and expedite the process by which UNICEF Nepal will hire the services of writers to provide documentation of UNICEF’s work in Nepal.
- Provide documentation of UNICEF's work in Nepal including special events, and special assignments to remote areas.
- Research on issues and characters being documented and conduct in-depth interviews of community, service providers, government counterparts, beneficiaries, while being mindful of sensitivities of specific situations.
- Edit the self-collected and/or UNICEF-provided raw content to develop communication materials including human interest stories, briefing notes, factsheets and reports etc.
Submission of communication materials including human interest stories, briefing notes, factsheets, etc. as decided before the start of the assignment
Duration of the contract:
The duration of the contract will be 11.5 months and may be extended depending on successful evaluation of the performance during the contract period.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Minimum Qualifications Required
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- More than five years of practical professional experience in writing for international organizations
- Background/familiarity with emergency situations.
- Fluency in English and Nepali
- Excellent communication and working with people
- Previous working experience with UNICEF is strongly preferred
UNICEF is not liable and the consultant/individual contractor is responsible for paying taxes incurred from the remuneration under this contract to the relevant government authorities following the Income Tax Act 2002 of Nepal.