Iraq - Project Manager AICS - Education
COOPI , Iraq
COOPI is active in Iraq since end of 2016, it is officially registered in Kurdish Region of Iraq since March 2017 and in Federal Iraq since September 2018. COOPI has implemented an AICS (Italian Governement) programme in the sector of Education in Emergency, located in Al Qayyarah (Mosul district). Since 2017, COOPI has been promoting formal and informal education in Iraq, having renovated and re-activated 20 schools severely damaged in Al Qayyarah and Western Mosul city and supporting more than 12.000 students.
COOPI adopts a strong community-based approach and acts in close collaboration with the local authorities and specifically to the Directorate of Education to reach strong results in a cost-efficient and sustainable way. In 2021 COOPI will expand its education portfolio into Shirqat district (Salah Ad Dihn governorate), in synergy with other ongoing and planned interventions in the WASH and livelihoods sectors.
The main needs identified by COOPI during a recent assessment are: rehabilitation of school and WASH infrastructure, training of teachers to improve the quality of education, and non-formal education interventions aimed both at reaching children out of school and at offering psychosocial and educational support to struggling students.
Purpose of the vacancy
The Project Manager :
- will have direct responsibility on the project coordination and implementation and on the AICS project (Education in Emergency);
- is responsible for the project’s execution, in technical, economic/financial terms, in terms of resources management on field, and in terms of internal and external reporting in compliance with COOPI and the donor’s procedures;
- ensures the expected results attainment in budget management;
- ensures the delivery of the project on-time, on-quality, on-budget.
We encourage international staff already in the country to apply.
Organisation and management
In cooperation with the project staff, he/she plans and monitors the activities’ progress, in compliance with the contract signed with the donor and with COOPI and the donor’s procedures;
He/she prepares monthly reports to the head of mission and regularly organizes project review meetings to identify issues and discuss solutions with relevant heads of department;
- He/she collaborates with the MEAL team to ensure adequate project monitoring, including through the implementation of the AAP mechanism, and the prompt integration of any findings and recommendations into the project implementation;
- In collaboration with the Head of Mission, he/she contributes at analyzing possible opportunities of project designing/funding.
- He/she elaborates, writes and prepares all necessary documents to present new projects, in accordance with the organization’s processes and procedures, with particular reference to AICS;
- He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country, also supporting the donor’s visibility.
- In collaboration with the Project Administrator/ Administrative Coordinator, he/she plans all expenditures to make;
- He/she regularly monitors all made expenditures;
- He/she supervises accounting and the project cash safe/bank account management and, where there was no dedicated staff, he/she directly manages the accounting and the project cash safe/bank accounts, making use of the instruments made available by the organization (Desy).
- In cooperation with the Project Administrator and in coordination with the HQ Administrative Coordinator, he/she prepares the purchases plan;
- He/she ensures the organization and donor’s procedures respect when purchasing goods and services;
- He/She is responsible of the correct management of all goods purchased for the project, both directly and purchased by other offices/field offices;
- For all goods purchased by the project he/she updates the inventory, in cooperation with the Administrative Coordinator;
- He/she contributes to strengthen the security assessment and ad hoc procedures, specifically applying the general country procedures to the specific context of the project.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and in compliance with the country’s rules/laws and with the COOPI’s regulation in the country, he/she selects the local staff to be employed in projects, and manages any other project’s expatriate staff;
- He/she coordinates and supervises the work done by all the project staff, in compliance with the organization’s security procedures;
- By making use of the organization’s tools, he/she evaluates the local staff employed for projects and he/she participates to the evaluation of his/her own project, upon request by his/her direct supervisor;
- He/she is responsible for the initial and continuous training of the local staff under his/her responsibility.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and with the Administrative Coordinator, he/she ensures the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of all financial and narrative reports – interim and final – expected by the project;
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of all formal communication and contract modifications requests (ex. budget modification) of the project to the donor.
- In relation to the project of his/her competence, he/she communicates with the donors’ officers, the local authorities which are competent in the aspects related to the project, the project’s partners and beneficiaries, in compliance with the organization’s guidelines;
- He/She will be a focal point, in coordination with the Head of Mission.;
- He/She represents COOPI in all relevant clusters and working groups, contributing to raise the organization’s profile and keeping the organization abreast on the latest technical guidance and recommendations;
- He/she will report on COOPI activities on Activity info and participate in the NHO/HRP process as necessary.
- Any other task in reasonable agreement with the Head of Mission.
Education and Experiences
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Experience of working in project management on one or more among the main donors, with priority to AICS;
- Experience in Education in Emergency and/ or Protection projects management;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Certified advanced (or mother tongue) knowledge of Italian;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability in project management in a comprehensive way (logistics, programme, reporting, staff management); and to use properly the standard project management tools;
- Ability to conduct sectorial analysis and to understand and transform into possible proposal the policies and strategies of the donors;
- Ability to organize and supervise a complex team;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Institutional relations management and cultural context understanding;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills.
- Knowledge of Arabic;
- Professional experience in the region;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO in a similar context.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.