IT Service Desk Assistant
UNOPS, Bangkok, Thailand
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Strategy (A/69/517) is an ambitious road map to transform ICT across the UN Secretariat. Successful implementation will lead to enhanced overall effectiveness and improved efficiency. Help desks are a critical organizational resource, therefore, the Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) is leading the way in transforming them into a more efficient global shared-service model.
Since 2014, the global Unite Service Desk provides around-the-clock support for key UN applications such as Umoja, Inspira, iNeed, Unite Identity, Unite Mail, UNDSS portals. Unite Service Desk is handling more than 140,000 service requests per year. Organized as a virtual service desk with teams in Bangkok, Nairobi, Geneva and New York, the Unite Service Desk provides a single point of contact (e.g., online forms, generic email address and hotline) to UN personnel and also to external users worldwide.
The Unite Service Desk – Asia located in Bangkok provides around-the-clock support for all the applications supported by the Unite Service Desk. As a member of the Unite Service Desk – Asia, the incumbent will be required to work as per the assigned day or evening or night shift to provide assistance. In addition, the incumbent may be asked to work during weekends and public holidays, and to attend training sessions outside of normal shift hours. The incumbent will work at ESCAP premises in Bangkok or from home if requested by the management team.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
This position is located in the Bangkok hub of the Unite Service Desk. Under the general supervision of the Hub Manager, the incumbent reports to the Hub Supervisor and Shift Lead. The incumbent will specifically undertake the following duties:
- Work in a shift as per the roster. The service operates on a 24/7/365 basis. Shift duty is mandatory including nights, weekends and public holidays.
- Provide Tier 1 support to users for all the systems supported by the Unite Service Desk (USD), including Inspira, Umoja and iNeed; follow up with Tier 2 and Tier 3 agents on incident resolution or request fulfilment as per established procedures.
- Act as focal point for receipt, analysis and processing of user requests; maintain regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices as well as with other USD hubs (in Geneva, Nairobi, and New York).
- Participate in the analysis of user requests; escalate service request to the relevant teams for handling; provide appropriate responses/guidance.
- Provide feedback/inputs on operation planning, USD documentations, and quality assurance processes.
- Assist in the preparation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and email templates.
- Assist in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
- Keep abreast of latest Service Desk procedures and technology; conduct research on new technologies as requested.
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Failure to resolve requests may result in delay in administrative process, missing deadlines, financial loss and additional works for recovery, involving staff at all levels, the Organization, and external users of the UN applications.
- Inefficient or poorly managed work assignment will result in incorrect and/or untimely resolution.
- Poor quality customer support service will hamper productivity of the application for users and may have financial impacts to the Organization.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field is desirable.
- Minimum 4 years of progressively responsible experience in information systems or application support, systems analysis, systems administration and maintenance, functional or technical customer support is required for a holder of a High School diploma.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree may substitute for some of the required years of experience respectively.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in 24/7 operations is required.
- Experience in providing functional support to Enterprise Resources Planning systems, such as SAP, PeopleSoft/Oracle, Siebel CRM, is required.
- Knowledge and understanding of UN administrative procedures and practice in human resources, finance and budget, procurement, travel is highly desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
- Additional training in the field of Service Management, certifications in ITIL and/or in SAP support is highly desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (L-ICA)
- Contract level: L-ICA4
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies. The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management