Laos Country Representative
World Concern, Ariha, Palestinian Territory Occupied
A world transformed from poverty to the abundance of life.
WORLD CONCERN MISSION STATEMENT
World Concern partners to transform the lives of poor and marginalized people through disaster response and sustainable community development. The love of Christ compels us to pursue reconciliation and equip those we serve so that they may in turn share with others.
World Concern is a US-based Christian global disaster response and sustainable community development agency. The love of Jesus Christ compels us to join Him in spiritual reconciliation and physical transformation by expressing a culture that is boldly focused on Christ and extending opportunities to people facing the most profound human challenges of extreme poverty. We serve over 7 million people in 15 countries, focusing on food security, child protection, education, maternal and child health, microfinance, vocational training, clean water and sanitation and disaster response.
Provide strategic leadership and management to World Concern’s relief and holistic development work in Laos. Advocate on behalf of organization’s development goals, building institutional relationships and promoting cooperative program activities. Lead the country team in formulating and executing a country strategy in line with World Concerns global strategy and Asia priorities. Develop new funding streams to ensure growth and financial stability. Build a culture that draws and retains committed and qualified staff.
(General overview and may not include all details of responsibilities)
· Infuse World Concern’s mission, vision and values into every aspect of WC Laos Operations.
· Lead the country team in a way that builds trust, transparency and integrity while developing a culture of prayer, learning and good stewardship.
· Develop and carry out the strategic plan for World Concern Laos that aligns with WC global strategies, incorporates humanitarian best practices and is feasible based on resource levels and context.
· Serve as Head of Mission and legal representative for World Concern in Laos.
· Lead the country team in developing new program and funding opportunities ensuring the long-term financial health and reputation of the organization as follows:
o Network with and maintain good working relationships with government authorities at National, Ministry, Provincial, District and Community levels to maintain legal MOUs for program areas and national registrations;
o Build relationships with key UN agencies and relevant sector working groups, National and Intl Churches, NGO’s, public & private entities and Integral Alliance members;
o Strengthen existing donor relationships while expanding donor base and funding pipeline through measure of proposals submitted; Maintain regular contact with USAID and USG-Dept of State contacts in relevant sectors at VTE mission and BKK regional office;
o Represent WC in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events that contribute towards raising the profile of WC.
· Active member of the Asia regional leadership team.
· Provide strong operational management to all aspects of WC’s work in Laos ensuring programs and projects are carried out in manner that meets WC’s commitments to beneficiaries, donors and other stakeholders.
· Ensure sound financial management of programs and operations by hiring and developing key financial staff, monitoring and controlling program income and expenses in relation to program deliverables and ensuring appropriate financial systems and processes are in place and being followed.
· Ensure recruitment and retention of appropriate qualified staff to carry out high impact programs while maintaining cost efficiency.
· Monitor the political, socio-economic and security situations in the country/region and ensure country security plans are well written, reviewed and revised annually or when new situations arise, to reflect the context; Staff are trained on essential protocols.
· Provide direction to staff during periods of heightened security risk and implement security protocols to respond appropriately. Assemble and lead a crisis management team to respond to threats or incidents.
· Oversee program design, proposal development, program delivery and reporting cycles to ensure high quality, accurate outputs are delivered to the relevant stakeholder(s) in a timely manner.
· Develop and monitor performance metrics to ensure accuracy, professionalism and timeliness of outputs.
· Provide capacity building opportunities for staff to improve skills related to deficiencies in delivering quality outputs.
· Make sure WC is compliant with local and national laws and regulations related to country registration, employment, taxation, banking, etc. and that systems are in place to monitor any changes to requirements.
· Ensure compliance with internal policies and relevant external standards, laws, regulations and requirements.
· Build a culture of transparency by soliciting feedback from staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders and ensure that feedback mechanisms are available and functional.
· Exemplify World Concern’s Code of Ethics and Conduct in all personal and professional dealings.
· Identify emerging risks as well as mitigation strategies and inform supervisor as soon as possible.
· Maintain open lines of communication with staff and supervisor.
· Assess staff capacity, identify those with management potential and actively work to develop their skills to create a strong management structure.
· Provide opportunities for staff to grow spiritually and professionally building on their God given strengths and talents.
· Promote an atmosphere of continuous shared learning.
A deep and abiding faith that is fully surrendered to the will of Jesus Christ, evidenced by a lifestyle that is consistent with biblical principles in word and deed. Commitment to spiritual growth and development. Demonstrates the values of a CRISTA leader.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field – Work experience may be substituted for education where relevant.
· 5 years’ experience managing multi-sector international relief and development programs with 2 years in a senior leadership role.
· Fluent in English (written and verbal).
· Demonstrated ability to scale country profile based on funding opportunities/realities.
· Organizational strategic planning experience.
· Demonstrated experience in managing a multi-cultural team to achieve success, develop positive, trusting intercultural relationships and achieve compliance to national and international standards and policies; understands Laos and SE Asia context.
· Experience in networking and building alliances with UN agencies, USAID/OFDA, ECHO, DFID, SIDA, other institutional donors and private partnerships, especially Tearfund.
· Experience managing USG funded programs.
· Ability to analyze budgets and financial reports for effective management decisions.
· Strong public relations, diplomacy and negotiation skills.
· Demonstrated knowledge of Humanitarian principles and best practices.
SOFTWARE / EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite, SharePoint and other web-based tools.
• Position based in Pakse, Champasak Province. Travel to Vientiane regularly. • Requires periodic travel to remote field locations where basic services may be limited. • May involve traveling in small boats, overnight buses, planes or driving on rough mountainous roads that are poorly maintained over long distances. • Periodic interruptions of power or communications. • May require working on weekends or holidays to meet critical deadlines. • May require travel to the United States and other locations in the region.