Legal Officer, P2 - Rome, Italy
WFP , Roma, Italy
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is located in the Legal Office (LEG)of the World Food Programme’s Headquarters in Rome, Italy. The Legal Officer will be assigned to the Administrative and Employment Law Branch (LEGA), which provides legal services on all aspects of the employment relationship between WFP and its personnel. The Legal Officer may, however, work on assignments in other areas of activity within LEG based on business needs and expressed personal interests.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the supervision of more senior Legal Officers in LEGA, the P2 Legal Officer will be responsible for the following duties, with a focus on matters relating to the legal status, rights, and obligations of WFP and its employees:
- Undertake legal research and analysis on legal issues of a substantive and procedural nature.
- Review a variety of legal documents, including agreements, memoranda of understanding and contracts in order to identify relevant legal issues and risks and to ensure compliance with the applicable legal framework and jurisprudence.
- Assist in preparing legal advice on the interpretation and application of WFP’s internal Regulations, Rules, Policies and Procedures as well as applicable conventions, resolutions and agreements.
- Draft legal documents including opinions, reports, memoranda, submissions, agreements and contracts.
- Provide legal support in representing WFP in administrative or tribunal proceedings and arbitration.
- Assist in the preparation of the negotiation and settlement of claims and disputes involving WFP and its personnel.
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced university degree in law or First university degree in law with relevant experience and advanced training in private, commercial or public law.
- Must be qualified to practice or admitted to practice by a recognized national or state bar or law society, or have equivalent experience of professional legal practice.
- A minimum of three years of experience practicing law within a law firm, an international organization, a governmental service or a company.
- Prior litigation experience and experience in an international context are assets.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work autonomously with minimum supervision.
- Tact and a high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
- Knowledge and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts, procedures and terminology for review, examination and processing of a range of legal documents.
- Knowledge of various legal research sources, techniques and ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments and draft legal papers.
- Eloquent and concise thinking and drafting.
- Business acumen.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese. French and/or Spanish will be considered a plus.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is however classified as “non-rotational” which means the incumbent shall not be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as rotational.
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit