Lithuania: Project Director
nternews Network, Vilniaus, Lithuania
Internews seeks a Project Director for a media support project focused on supporting local independent journalists and media outlets. S/he will provide strategic guidance and leadership; oversee activities that help local media outlets improve their digital business strategies and produce high-quality content that engages news audiences, supervise program personnel, financial management, and administration. S/he will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships with counterparts within the country of focus and with the appropriate donor representatives.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Manage and oversee organization and implementation of activities that take place in country. Supervise staff and coordinate with partners based locally and within the region. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Write and revise project reports, communications materials, and other project documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Coordinate activities in country with other Internews projects to ensure unified communications with project beneficiaries and complementary activities with ongoing projects.
- Serve as public face of the project in the region and primary point of contact for local and international stakeholders.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure program impact.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the country (especially online digital media), and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media in the country.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all donor’s rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Other duties as necessary.
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in media or in managing media development projects; experience with digital media and digital convergence is a strong plus.
- Deep understanding of the local media sector as well as the broader media sector in Europe and Eurasia.
- Experience in managing media development projects.
- Experience in designing and conducting training programs.
- Proven ability to establish collaborative working relationships with local beneficiaries, international organizations, and donors.
- Demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities, particularly when managing projects remotely.
- Ability to troubleshoot challenges on the ground quickly and creatively.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English and Russian language required.