Logistics Manager Iraq
Norwegian People's Aid, Baghdad, Iraq
The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking an experienced Logistics Manager for our humanitarian clearance programme in Iraq.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
Norwegian Peoples Aid (NPA) started supporting Iraq in 1995 conducting mine clearance in the northern kurdish region. In 2010, NPA shifted its focus to southern Iraq, conducting capacity development, survey and clearance operations. In 2016, in support to the humanitarian relief effort resulting from the liberation of areas previously held by ISIL, NPA established an IED and Improvised Landmine operation in northern, followed by central Iraq. By the beginning of 2019, the progamme had 38 teams and 342 staff operating led by 3 project offices in Mosul, Ramadi and Basra, in addition to the country office in Baghdad.
The Logistics Manager is the head of the Logistics Department and is responsible for the coordination, management and day-to-day supervision of all NPA logistics activities, incl. procurement, warehousing, fleet management and asset management.
The Logistics Manager is part of the NPA HD Iraq Senior Management Team and will be based in Baghdad, and extensive travels between field bases and operations in the areas throughout the country is required.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Promote adherence of NPA guidelines and develop local systems for internal control
- Responsible for implementation and use of NPA logistic management systems in the whole programme
- Direct supervision and training of subordinate staff in logistic management and NPA regulations
- Provide logistical competence and assist operations and programme in planning, analysis and reporting for improved cost efficiency
- Advise management on logistical structure and processes and coordination of logistical related functions
- Coordinate with Finance Manager on crosscutting themes in regards to logistic operations, such as tax, import/export, VAT refund, payment to vendors etc.
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics/procurement field or equivalent in relevant fields
- At least 3 year experience working in a similar position, including management responsibility, within an INGO, international organisation, UN or large company
- Experience with capacity development of national staff
- Good understanding of ICT-systems and experience with MS Office applications, including advanced user level in excel
- Driving license
- English verbal and written proficiency
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Working knowledge of using logistics management systems and software
- Certified trainings in supply chain management, public procurement and supply
- Experience using radio communication equipment
- Experience working for INGOs or international organizations
The ideal candidate has good communication and interpersonal skills, experience of working in a developing country and an understanding of the constraints this imposes. You are able to asses, plan, structure and manage multiple activities and prioritize workloads under minimal supervision. Further, you have good managerial skills and have the ability to manage staff from a distance, often in remote locations. Working knowledge, both written and spoken, of the Arabic Language is a strong advantage.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats, and an attractive R&R scheme. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year*. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Application deadline 8th June 2019. Please note that screening and interviews may take place continuously.
For more information about NPA, please see our website ator visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
- Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations