Market Systems Lead, Mozambique Market Systems
Winrock , Mozambique
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking an experienced Market Systems Lead to provide technical program design and leadership for an anticipated USAID project to improve food security through investments in the agriculture sector under the Mozambique Market Systems project. The objective of the anticipated award will be to accelerate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase food security in Nampula, Zambezia, and Sofala provinces. The project will use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The project will use innovative partnerships to incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Mozambique’s agriculture sector while increasing production capacity and market access and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Market Systems Lead will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for the anticipated USAID-funded Mozambique Market Systems Development project. S/he will lead a team toward facilitated approaches to engage private sector firms in investing in upgrades to the agriculture sector, including but not limited to improved inputs, private sector advisory services, post-harvest services, and provision of market information. S/he will work closely with the Production Lead to identify and manage partnerships that yield results in line with objectives.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of activities using a market systems development approach;
- Build capacity of technical and other project staff, partners, and stakeholders for implementing under a market systems development approach;
- Implement diagnostics and assessments for evaluating market opportunities, identifying partners, and designing project partnerships;
- Identify and manage partnerships that contribute both to sustainable and inclusive growth of private sector partners and to anticipated project results;
- Understand and manage to expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Support an efficient and accurate data collection and analysis system;
- Provide thought leadership for government of Mozambique counterparts, private sector businesses, USAID, and other stakeholders in understanding and implementing market systems approaches;
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and achieve meaningful results;
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to develop annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets;
- Collaborate with communications team to visualize and disseminate important findings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Degree in business administration or related field required.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing market systems interventions for international development projects, preferably with USG funded projects;
- Experience managing technical teams for market systems development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management;
- Experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access;
- Familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches;
- Knowledge the Mozambique agriculture sector;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong personnel management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English, Portuguese required.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.