MEAL Coordinator - Iraq
INTERSOS, Erbil, Iraq
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator
Duty station: Erbil - with regular visit in all the field bases at level of KRI and GOI areas
Starting date: 25/11/2019
Contract duration: 8 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: M&E Unit (4 Meal Officer – National Staff)
Dependents: According to INTERSOS HR Manual
General context of the project
INTERSOS established its presence in Iraq in 2003 and currently operates across Salah Al Din (SAD), Erbil and Ninewa Governorates. Thematic sectors of intervention are Protection, Health and Education, and its main offices are in Baghdad and Erbil, while the other four (4) sub-offices are located in Tikrit, Hamam Al Alil, Mosul and Telafar. In Health sector, INTERSOS provides free comprehensive Primary Health Care (PHC) in order to facilitate the access to the population to qualitative care and a proper referral system to secondary care if needed. Through IHPF, WHO, UNFPA and ECHO 2018 funds, INTERSOS provided the full package of free primary health care, including reproductive health (RH) care services, emergency room and support to HFs to returnees, remainees and IDPs in Shirqat, Beiji, Tikrit, Qayyara, Shoura, and Telafar. In Protection, INTERSOS is one of the main actors in the country providing a comprehensive package of protection services in Telafar and Mosul urban areas, and IDP camps (Haj Ali, Jeddah, Nimrod, Salamiyya and Hammam al Alil) in Ninewa, as well as in Tikrit, Balad, Samarrah, Beiji and Shirqat districts in SAD, including in camp and out of camp locations. INTERSOS has been implementing Protection activities in partnership with UNHCR, USAID/OFDA, IHPF. Services provided include protection monitoring, structured PSS, case management, psychological counselling and legal assistance. This strategy is implemented through a semi static approach.
General purpose of the position
The MEAL Coordinator will support in completing the setting up, implementation and supervision of the MEAL Unit in the INTERSOS Iraq Mission ensuring strong coordination with Program Unit and and under the supervision of the HoM.
S/he will accomplish this through leading the development and implementation of an integrated MEAL framework for the Program currently implemented in Iraq, focusing on mentoring and/or building capacities of relevant programme, M&E and Accountability staff, as well as promoting and fostering a culture of shared learning and accountability, and promoting innovation within the programme. This includes the development and integration of accountability, learning and programme quality standards in programme assessments, design, monitoring, review and evaluation as well as consistent documentation of learning and progress in this area.
Once fully developed, the MEAL Coordinator will be expected to lead on MEAL system implementation including monitoring, accountability initiatives, support evaluations, compile lessons learnt, MEAL budgeting and recruitment.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the direct supervision of INTERSOS Head of Mission, the MEAL Coordinator will be responsible of the following:
- Responsible for the smooth rolling out of the INTERSOS Complaint Platform mechanism in strong coordination with IT Unit (HQ), Program Unit (Mission);
- Support in completing the setting up of a system to manage information generated by MEAL activities, such as beneficiaries’ databases for the whole INTERSOS Iraq Program (Protection, EiE and health)
- Support HoM in mainstreaming MEAL elements in the Country Strategy inclusive of programmatic outcomes (and indicators) and recommendations for the Organisation’s strategic direction.
- Support HoM in enhancing the common monitoring framework for overall programme in place (Project Appraisal Tool system in particular)
- Support and improve the current system for data collection, analysis including proposal for vulnerability scoring
- Conduct data analysis and present and disseminate information to inform programme management.
- Support in the recruitment and management of staff (induction, performance management and training)
- Support in establishing a Mission assessment plan focusing starting form the already existing tools (Cluster Assessment tools) focusing on promoting an integrated approach and including a focus on Community.
- Supervise and improve the implementation of accountability mechanisms at field level, e.g. complaints and feedback response mechanisms –assessment, design, implementation, and review.
- Support Program Unit to ensure that the overall program is including strategies and mechanism for promoting high level of community participation.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for MEAL staff and work as a mentor for less experienced staff.
- Support the design and supervision of training and awareness raising activities for operations and programme technical staff at field level regarding MEAL priorities and quality standards.
Representation, Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Support in post implementation review workshops, prepare lessons learnt reports and conducting accountability mechanism pilots involving relevant INTERSOS Staff
Required profile and experience
- A university degree at the post-graduate level in : Statistics, Information management, Social Science, Demography, Social studies or any related field
- At least 3 years of experience of working internationally in humanitarian programmes;
- Significant years of experience of undertaking a MEAL related role
- Proven knowledge of displaced person (IDP, Refugees, Returnees) assistance issues;
- Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/participating in evaluations
- Experience of training and capacity building
- Experience in working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to write clear and well-argued
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage efficiently multiple priorities, deadlines and tasks with attention to details;
- Strong reporting skills;
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills, Italian and/or Arabic are an asset
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature;
- Pro-active approach to work;
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with variety of people, and express oneself in a clear and concise way;
- Excellent team working skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment and under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Ability to work under high pressure