Media and Communication Officer
Save the Children , Nepal
Media and Communication Officer (200005GD)
Media and Communication Officer - (200005GD)
Media and Communication Officer
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Media and Communication Department
LOCATION: EFO, Bardibas
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
The position will provide information, communication and media related support to the field office in coordination with the department in Kathmandu. Based in the field office, the position’s role is to undertake field visits, gather and put together information of programs for internal and external purposes and program documentation.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Associate Director (Line Manager) & Communications Manager for technical reporting Staff directly reporting to this post: NA
Staff indirectly reporting to this post: NA
Financial approval authority: NA
Role Dimension: The Media and communication Officer will be responsible for all roles related to job description stated below.
The specific roles are:
* Collect, categorize, and coordinate with the regional office for all communication and documentation related requests and respond to them in consultation with the Media and communication Department.
* Undertake field visit to the relevant program areas covered by the field office to document Save the Children’s program activities and impacts
* Gather, edit and coordinate media collaterals like images, audio, video and texts.
* Engage and assist program staff in necessary publications undertaken by the field office
* Be the focal point to coordinate brand compliance in coordination with the center.
* Contribute to Save the Children’s internal communication mechanisms (OneNet, Newsletter, and social media sites)
* Support the department to ensure efficient and accurate information flow between field office and center.
* Work with the field project-based team to engage in media outreach activities and profile local advocacy issues in the region
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
* Take stock of information and communication resources generated in the field office of projects and programs
* Assist in member media visits, arrange logistics for field visits and act as a fixer for key external media visitors.
* Respond to the requests of member and Donor agencies as and when required.
* Capacity Building of SCI and PNGO staff on OD
* Support project staff and partner NGO on case study and documentation
* Take up roles and responsibilities according to the needs of the department
* Campaign activities and advocacy as per need.
* Support to communication department and other field offices when needed
* Representing the organisation amongst partners related to branding policies, media and communication work of the organisation
* Establish strong institutional relationship with relevant government agencies particularly palikas, WCPC, MCPC, etc for SC’s visibility and sustainability of the project interventions.
* Maintain close coordination with Project team members for effective implementation of the project.
* Strengthen networking and coordination at district level for resource maximisation
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
* Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
* Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
* Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
* Future orientated, thinks strategically.
* Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
* Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a relevant field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* 3 Years in the field of communication and media
* Basic skill in using audio and video digital equipment such as still and video camera and audio recorders
* Basic skills in multimedia software applications
* Excellent written and spoken skills in English and Nepali
* Good networking and communication abilities
* Good presentation and communication skills
Additional Job Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
JD Written by:
JD agreed by:
JD Updated by:
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In Nepal and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children - every day and in times of crisis - transforming their lives and the future we share. Save the Children adheres Safeguarding Policy, including its Child Safeguarding and Global Anti-harassment Policy, with high importance and commits rigorous procedure to ensure all our personnel and programs are safe for children. All candidates will be, therefore, subject to strict background checks.
Save the Children invites applications from the interested and eligible candidates who are reliable, accountable, have the ability to deliver results with the highest level of integrity and who value diversity for the following position(s).