MHPSS Programme Officer
IOM , Baghdad, Iraq
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the overall supervision of the Head, Community
Stabilization Unit (CSU) and the direct supervision of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)
Programme coordinator of IOM Iraq, the incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of the MHPSS
pillar of IOM Iraq’s Community Stabilization Programme in central and southern governorates of Iraq. Given
the limited resources in the field of mental health countrywide in general, s/he will focus on building technical
capacity of staff and providing close supervision to all steps of projects implementation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the timely rollout of MHPSS activities, overseeing project planning, implementation,
monitoring, and troubleshooting in the area of responsibility under supervision of MHPSS
- Ensure compliance with IOM and donor requirements, including those related to procurement, budget
utilization, and human resources, maintaining close contact with relevant IOM support units.
- Support the mapping of MHPSS services in Iraq, focusing on central and southern governorates.
- Support the implementation and technical supervision of thematic IOM programme acitivites; such as
suicide prevention and MHPSS and Livelihoods integration
- Support the design and implementation of MHPSS assessments, analyse problems/gaps, and
propose/prioritize timely programmatic responses to mental health and psychosocial issues identified.
- Apply MHPSS programme standard operating procedures (SoPs), to strengthen and systematize
IOM’s MHPSS activities.
- In coordination with the MHPSS Programme coordinator and other relevant colleagues/units,
recruit, train, and ensure the close technical supervision of IOM’s MHPSS staff.
- Support the development of strategies and curricula to strengthen the MHPSS capacity of governmental
and non-governmental service providers and implementing partners of IOM.
In coordination with the CSU Reporting Officer and IOM’s Project Support Unit (PSU), develop and
maintain mechanisms for the timely generation of statistical data on MHPSS services, trends, and
Ensure coherence between MHPSS activities, other pillars of CSU programming, and the overall IOM
response in the area of responsibility, proposing adjustments when needed to maximize the collective
strategic impact of different activities.
Represent IOM at MHPSS working group meetings and other relevant fora, developing
partnerships with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders to ensure strong coordination,
information sharing, and government involvement in the area of responsibility.
Assist the MHPSS Programme coordinator, Head of CSU, PSU officers, and other relevant
colleagues/units to prepare project proposals, narrative and progress reports, cost modifications, and
public information material, as required by project donor(s) and/or IOM.
Ensure gender and protection mainstreaming within all project activities.
Undertake duty travel as required.
Perform any of duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology, Counselling, Social Science, Mental Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with 4 years of relevant professional experience
Experience and Skills:
- Experience in project management and reporting (required).
- Experience in the design and/or implementation of MHPSS interventions in conflict and/or postconflict
- settings (required).
- Proven ability to supervise, train, and direct staff and manage operations in complex post-conflict
- contexts (required).
- Experience in liaising and building effective partnerships with donors, government authorities,
- and/or other national/international institutions, such as research institutions and local and
- international NGOs (required).
- Experience in capacity building of local organizations and/or government partners (desired).
- Advanced knowledge of MHPSS provision in community based programmes (desired).
- Demonstrable knowledge of political and humanitarian issues and/or work experience in Iraq or the
- middle east is an advantage(desired).
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic and /or Kurdish is an advantage.
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a minimum of comfort.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of
- sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).