National Professional Officer
WHO - World Health Organization, Pakistan
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The goal of WHO's presence in countries,territories and areas is to develop a two-way collaboration between theSecretariat and countries, territories and areas, by supporting them to reachnational health goals and contribute to global and regional public healthaction. WHO utilizes the Country Cooperation Strategy(CCS), a key element of the Country Focus strategy, as a strategic managementtool to create synergy and alignment between WHO leadership priorities and nationalhealth policies, strategies and plans as well as United Nations DevelopmentAssistance Framework (UNDAF). Creating this synergy and alignment will beessential to advance WHO's organizational effectiveness and ensure WHO'srelevance at country level.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Manage programmatic activities in the area of Public Health at Federal and Provincial levels, ensuring that the activities in this area are carried out efficiently and effectively.
Provide technical and policy advice to the Government on strengthening the national health systems, including health financing and minimal access/coverage, service delivery, human resources for health and Health Information Systems.
Develop and propose national policies for implementation through collaboration with the national authorities and recommend health development initiatives in the areas of health systems strengthening, partnership building and improvements in the planning and management of existing Public health systems.
Oversee and coordinate work plans and budgets for team activities including resource mobilization for the work programme and monitor the implementation of planned activities.
Coordinate and implement programs for capacity building in the area of Public health systems and the management and financing of the systems.
Act as atechnical advisor to the public concerning sustainable health systems that contribute to health equity, social justice and elimination of exclusion and respond to inquiries and provide detailed and technical information concerning related principles, practices, issues, measures, techniques and procedures..
Advocate, coordinate, and build partnerships with national counterparts, technical departments at EMRO and negotiate with donor and development partners (UN and bilateral) to harmonize recommendations on policies and strategies related to Public health systems and resolve issues orconcerns and seek funding for new projects and work programmes.
- Essential: Master's degree in Health (medicine or public health).
- Desirable: Postgraduate degree in Medicine/Public Health.
Essential: At least seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in public health developing public health capacity and policies/strategies that promotes health and preventative measures,investigation, surveillance, preparedness and control of various diseases. Within this experience, demonstrated professional experience working at the country and/or regional level providing technical advice and services to Ministries of Health/Member States and other partners on public health programmes. Experience managing diverse teams.
- Excellent knowledge and expertise of country level situations with regard to public health systems development and management with good understanding of relevant country's needs, priorities and policies, along with WHO's policies, practices, guidelines and procedures in the related areasand ability to apply them in the country office setting.
- Ability to conduct research and analyze results, identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations for strengthening health care systems.
- Ability to review and revise policies and objectives of assigned programme and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Excellent knowledge of Health care systems and safety regulations.
- Proven knowledge of technical aspects in the field of specialty.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women andmen in all aspects of work.
- Team leadership, team spirit and time management skills.
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Local Language.